Glee, Myself and I: ‘Special Education’

Okay, what?  The majority of this episode was enjoyable, but it was also filled with a lot of weird events.  New Directions (their set list wasn’t leaked this time!) competed against two other teams in sectionals. They tied for first place with Kurt’s team, the Warblers.  But let’s go into the specifics:

This week in "Glee," the New Directions tied with the Warlbers for first place in sectionals. Photo courtesy fanpop.com.

Emma and Carl: Emma’s back after a three-episode absence because of her “trip to Vegas” with Carl. And she came back with a diamond ring on her finger — a wedding ring from Carl.  As a fan of the Emma-Will relationship, I completely disapprove. I also don’t understand why Emma shares every aspect of her personal life with Will when she fully knows that he still has feelings for her.  What’s wrong with her?

Rachel and Finn: After discovering dirty secrets about each other, Finn breaks with Rachel. The fact that Rachel felt the need to go and cheat on him with Puck after learning about Finn’s romance with Santana hugely disappoints me.  Even after everything she did to get Finn in the first place, she pulls a stunt like this.  Good going, Rachel. Not.

Kurt: In this episode, Kurt realizes that his individuality isn’t as appreciated at Dalton Academy as it was in New Directions.  I think the solution is obvious: Kurt should transfer back to McKinley.  Even though it’s completely understandable that he switched schools to avoid Karofsky’s bullying, he belongs at McKinley— it’s his true home.

Will: After outbursts of “why didn’t I get a solo?” and “no way I’m getting on stage with him,” Will finally took charge and put everyone in their place.  He made Rachel stop complaining, a seemingly impossible feat, and still managed to tie for first place at sectionals.

Puck: The usual bully got a taste of his own medicine when the football team locked him in a Port-o-potty after he tried to recruit them for Glee club to fill Kurt’s spot.  Then he helped Rachel understand that she shouldn’t be cheating on Finn.  Good for you, Puck,  but I have a feeling he won’t stay that way for long.

Dalton Academy Warblers: Blaine has a great voice, but the Warblers fall in New Direction’s shadow.  Not to belittle their performance, but Blaine was the only soloist; everyone else sang backup.  Nonetheless, his rendition of “Hey, Soul Sister” was very good.

New Directions: Will’s set list was much better than it was at sectionals last season.  Along with Sam and Quinn’s duet, Santana got a solo (even though I strongly dislike her, she has a great voice) and Brittany and Mike finally got center stage for their dance routine.

Results: The Warblers and New Directions tied for first place, which will make for a very interesting regional’s episode. Even though Kurt definitely fits in with New Directions better, I would’ve hated to see him lose. This episode was definitely a favorite of mine, and I hope the unsung heroes of the Glee club continue to shine.