At Whit’s End: Meeting an American Girl author

When I heard about the American Girl doll store coming to Tyson’s Corner, fond recollections rushed back of times I played with my own Molly doll. Among all the memories, one stood out. At age 10, I met Valerie Tripp, author of the Felicity, Josefina, Kit and Molly book series that accompanied the dolls.

I was indescribably eager to meet the women who’d created my Molly’s life and wrote countless stories about teenage life during World War II.  With my doll appropriately dressed in a maroon velvet dress, I was ready for an afternoon tea with my favorite writer. After discussing the novels and participating in an American Girl product raffle, I met the author. As I nervously stood in line, watching Tripp graciously autograph other fan’s books, my stomach fluttered with all the excitement that could fit in my 10-year-old body. After a long wait, I finally reached the author’s table.

Starstruck, I handed her a couple of her books to sign, and stood back with my Molly doll securely in my arms. When she asked who to make the autograph out to, I told her my name and mentioned that I’d like to someday be a writer too. Her pen paused and her grin widened. After she finished signing, Tripp not only handed me back my books, but the special Molly pen that she’d signed them with.

I left the event elated, my doll, books and prized pen in tow.

Today, the doll sits locked away in a homemade storage trunk that’s brimming with a slightly embarrassing amount of doll paraphernalia. The books gathering dust on my bookshelf, and the pen has vanished into the mess of my room. However, one thing stays with me. Even after the doll becomes more insignificant than Furbies, the pen and the endless possibilities of creativity it represents will remain.