Glee, Myself and I: ‘Never Been Kissed’

Let me start by saying that this is no longer a family show.  This week’s episode was much better than it was last week, but the content is definitely PG-13.  The writers don’t just focus on the songs anymore.  This episode, for example, focused on the girls not “putting out.” But, because of the younger audience that already watches the show, the writers should aim to keep the show appropriate.

The Glee club girls performed a mash up of "Living on a Prayer" and "Start Me Up" in their singing competition against the boys. Photo courtesy tvseriesplanet.com.

For one, I don’t like the plot that surrounds Kurt.  He’s had too rough of a time in high school with his dad being sick and being bullied every day for his sexuality.  He deserves a break.  Kurt finally got the courage to confront one of the bullies, Karofsky, and I’m glad he did.  But the kiss between them was odd and made it slightly awkward to watch.  It seemed too ridiculous to put in the show.

After spying on Glee club competition, Dalton Academy, Kurt met Blaine, a gay member of the rival Glee club. Kurt’s finally found someone who understands and sympathizes with him, a much-needed addition to the show.

And then there’s Sue.  I guess there’s really no hope for her being even slightly generous.  Even though she didn’t directly bully Coach Beiste during the episode, she still hasn’t learned to become a better person.

On another note, I’m glad Puck finally came to his senses and stopped being such a jerk.  After Puck got released from jail, he attempted to use Artie as his mandatory community service for “helping a crippled dude.”  Even though Puck’s plans backfired, Artie, being the bigger person, brought out the big-hearted side of Puck and made him realize his wrongdoings.  Now why can’t the writers do that with Karofsky?

On the show romances: I hope Artie and Brittany don’t get back together.  They’re extremely wrong for each other and Artie deserves someone so much better.  I don’t understand why he wants her back; she’s exceptionally unintelligent and used him.  Sam and Quinn, on the other hand, are my new favorite couple, especially because the relationship makes Quinn less mean to Rachel.

And finally, there’s Will.  I never really liked him before because of his awful acting, but he’s getting progressively better as an actor and character.  And he’s so nice to Coach Beiste.  After she quit, Will succeeded in bringing her back to the school and  gave her her first kiss.  It was a little weird, I’ll admit, but really sweet of him.

The only thing missing was Emma.  Where did she go?  The writers are inconsistent with character appearances; in the Rocky Horror episode, Emma was a significant part of the episode, but she didn’t have one appearance or even a mention in this week’s episode.

Overall the songs were good and the plot line was creative, but the content isn’t what I want it to be.  The writers should keep their attention on the namesake of the show: the glee.