Bethesda mom’s mission, educate girls on dangers of makeup

Every morning, girls wake up and head straight for the bathroom, where they fervently apply beauty products from lotion to eyeliner all over their faces. What they don’t realize is that with this daily beautification ritual comes exposure to dangerous chemicals. Bethesda mother Gurvinder Ravery, however, knows this all too well—and wants to spread the word.

Soon after winning her battle with cancer in 2008, Ravery founded MomtoMomHealth.com a website designed to educate people about the toxins found in commercial personal care products. She also uses the site to sell all-natural products, such as acne medicine, lipstick and deodorant.
Ravery was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007 and believes the chemicals in her daily beauty products contributed to her disease.

“It was like, ‘How did I get cancer?’” she says. “That’s where the environment came in. Most people think you can lather a bottle of lotion on your skin and you’re fine, but it seeps into your bloodstream.”

Though breast cancer predominantly affects women, Ravery’s products, which are purchased from small, local companies and then sold on the website, are also for men, teens and children.

“After all of the research I did about my own cancer, I felt like there was a calling for me to get it out to everyone,” Ravery says.

Some of the cosmetics like deodorant and nail polish cost about the same as commercial options. But an organic shampoo or body wash may cost up to $15 per item—more than triple the cost of similar store-bought products.
Ravery also organizes special events, such as birthday parties, where customers can learn more about her line and sample her products.

Ravery’s concern is shared by University of Maryland oncology nurse practitioner Michelle Turner, who said she advocates that consumers are responsible for researching what they are putting into their bodies and emphasizes that beauty doesn’t require makeup.

The government has also stepped in to protect consumers; in July, the Safe Cosmetics Act of 2010 was introduced to Congress, although the bill has yet to be voted on.  The Act requires the disclosure of all ingredients in cosmetics, in addition to the introduction of safer, natural ingredients that Ravery is selling.

“Our children cannot be replaced, so why risk their developmental years by allowing them to indulge in products which contain unknown toxins?” Ravery asks. “I’m hoping that people will turn a new leaf and stop putting toxins into their body.”

Some of Ravery’s products, including the “Good for You Girls Blemish Wash,” contain ingredients such as pumpkin seed extract and aloe vera, in addition to the more generic dose of salicylic acid.  The men’s deodorant contains only two ingredients, compared to Old Spice, which tallies in at eight ingredients.

The Campaign for Safe Cosmetics is a coalition responsible for informing the public about legislation related to makeup.

“Breast cancer causation is really complex,” says Shannon Coughlin, communications director for the Campaign for Safe Cosmetics. “It’s too complex to say [Ravery’s cancer] is from makeup.”

Because of teenagers’ overexposure to the chemicals in beauty products, Ravery said she aims to increase awareness among youth in particular.

Junior Sarah Backenstoe switched from a daily commercial skin care routine to one that includes numerous all-natural products from Ravery’s website.

“I think there’s something that’s cool about natural products,” Backenstoe says. “It seems to have fewer harmful effects, and I think it’s good to use them.”

Ravery said she hopes other people will learn from her experience and consider her message.

“Before I had breast cancer, I didn’t know that personal care products were harmful to us,” Ravery says. “I’m trying to educate teenagers, because that’s when it’s most valuable to them.”