Glee, Myself and I: Rocky Horror Glee Show

The previews for this episode got my hopes up more than they should’ve.  I’d waited two weeks for a sub-par “Rocky Horror Glee Show.”  It wasn’t disappointing per se, but it could’ve been so much better. Not much happened until the last scene of the show, a “Time Warp” rendition.  The only other good parts of the episode were Sam in gold underpants, Will and Emma’s awkward sexual tension and Sue’s cliché attempt to take down the Glee club again.

While it didn't live up to expectations, The Rocky Horror Glee Show had good music and interesting plot twists. Photo courtesy www.imusicdaily.com.

Sue Sylvester: The episode began with a Sue’s Corner about the real meaning of Halloween: fear.  Two producers from the local news station asked Sue to do an exposé that proves how a “secular progressive agenda” has arrived in Ohio by covering Glee club’s production of “Rocky Horror Picture Show.”  Naturally, Sue protests the risqué material in the musical and tries to make absurd edits to the script.  She watches rehearsals throughout the episode and does nothing except critique Mr. Shuester… what a surprise.

Relationships: Emma and Will’s relationship is taken to a whole new degree of strange.  Although she’s with Carl, Emma unleashes a wild and sensual side of herself when she performs an avant-garde scene with Will. This side of her only comes out when she’s around Will. Coincidence?  I think not.  It’s time for Carl to leave.

Costumes: The outfits, which Emma designed, were a good part of the episode.  Mercedes’ outfit, as the lead role of Frankenfurter, was a little out there and kind of strange—a leather corset fishnet tube top—but she rocked it.  Kurt’s outfit was just really scary-looking—the top part of his head was bald while he had long blonde hair on the side of his head.  This costume gave me nightmares, but it added a Halloween element to the episode.

The episode was good, but because it’s so close to Halloween the writers could’ve done much more with it.  At least give the viewers something to watch beyond confusing rehearsals.  And, even after the not great episode, we have to wait another two weeks for a new one.