At Whit’s End: When it comes to Bieber, “One Time” is more than enough

These days, Justin Bieber fans can buy just about anything adorned with the tween star’s face. Fans covet posters, t-shirts and even bedspreads featuring the mug of the new pop sensation.

It’s become quite the epidemic; in fact, Bieber-fever has officially overheated.

Case-in-point: Music merchandising company Bravado is partnering with The Bridge Direct Inc. to release two doll lines featuring the singer in early December, according to Billboard.com. And, as if that wasn’t enough, Bieber is collaborating with nail polish company OPI  to create the One Less Lonely Girl collection, according to Vainstyle.com. Colors in the collection include “OMB!” and “One Less Lonely Glitter”.

These doll and nail polish lines are only three of the hundreds of signs that Bieber is officially a sellout. Male pop stars don’t need singing dolls, let alone a nail polish line, to capitalize on their fame, and Bieber definitely doesn’t need any more hype.

Dolls from the Justin Bieber Singing Collection are expected to hit the shelves in early December. Photo courtesy aceshowbiz.com

So what can we do to combat the Bieber epidemic?

I beg you, don’t plaster your walls with posters, or even think of changing your hairstyle to mimic the star’s trademark cut and “flo.”

Bieber’s doll and nail polish line reflects how much pop culture has shifted. Anyone can stretch their fifteen minutes of fame into at least a full half-an-hour. So, fine, if you really want a Bieber doll when the holidays roll around, add it to your list.

But first, remember Furbies. The fluffy toy that, upon closer inspection, looked like the creatures from Gremlins before they become monsters. They sold from 1998 to 2000. I confess, I owned at least three. But the little voices got creepy. The blinking eyes didn’t stop blinking, so I threw them away.

The Bieber doll line could very well end up like a modern Furbie, highly publicized and well liked, but soon enough, customers will fear the Bieber.