Q&A with News Literacy Project founder Alan Miller

The News Literacy Project, a non-profit organization, teaches students about the importance of journalism and how to determine credible sources. Alan Miller, the founder and executive director, provided the Black & White with some insight on the project.

Alan Miller speaks at the News Literacy Project's fall forum. Photo by Annie Russell.

Black & White: Why did you create the News Literacy Project?

Alan Miller: The idea sprang up after speaking to my daughter’s classmates at Pyle Middle School in 2006. I used to be an investigative reporter in Los Angeles, where I was asked by a teacher to talk about journalism and why it matters. I got thank you notes from every student. I then began to think about journalists more and their impact on students.

B&W: What is the most influential part of the News Literacy Project?

AM: The heart of the News Literacy Project is the journalist presentation. We have more than 160 journalists in our directory. More than half have participated. They’re a compelling presence with students. The students connect with their experiences as well. The presentations make it unique.

B&W: How do you think the National Literacy Project has impacted students?

AM: We have seen a considerable input based on students’ views and the teachers’ opinions. Students come away with a better sense of what distinguishes quality journalism. They are better equipped and ask questions. In addition, six students in April appeared at the Newseum and spoke at a forum. They talked about issues related to the News Literacy Project. The students were incredibly thoughtful and articulate, and well informed before the audience.

B&W: Where would you like to see the News Literacy Project in five years?

AM: We are continuing to grow on by adding new schools, teachers and students to the program. We have a very exciting digital initiative. This will be a way to share curriculum materials with teachers and students through blogs, and students can even post their own projects. Also, students will have the ability to digitally communicate with journalists more often.