LIVE: Boys volleyball takes on Poolesville in second round of playoffs

New drivers test proves tougher for students

Trying to get your driver’s license?  Be sure to wipe the French fries off the passenger seat and fill up the gas, because if you don’t, you could fail the MVA license test before even starting the car.

The MVA implemented a new, longer test in June that requires would-be drivers to demonstrate their driving ability on actual roads, instead of just in the MVA parking lot.

The new assessment can take up to 45 minutes, as potential drivers weave through surrounding streets. On the road, examiners take points off  if motorists don’t know the speed limit, don’t follow street signs, or any other driving crimes.

“The new test was put in place to ensure that everyone who gets their license is a completely competent driver,” said MVA spokeswoman Caryn Coyle.  “We feel that, in the long run, this new test will cut down on accidents and make Maryland roads safer.”

Critics say the new test is unfair to possible drivers.

“The examiners are disqualifying students on many things that have nothing to do with the test itself,” said Tom Pecoraro, founder of I Drive Smart.  “Some students barely even get into the car.”

The failure rate of this new test is between 85 to 92 percent for people taking the test their first time, up 10 to 15 percent from the old test, Pecoraro said, leaving many students frustrated.

“I was coming up on my last turn, when the examiner pulled me over and told me I failed,” said junior Ryan Oshinsky, who has since gotten his license.  “I thought he was pulling me over because I had passed the test, but he had failed me for taking one hand off the wheel.”

Junior Conor Hyatt was able to pass the exam on his first try.

“I just went really slow, and made sure I knew the rules of the road,” he said.  “If you do that, then it’s easy to pass.”

Pecoraro doesn’t feel that the test fairly reflects how drivers should operate their cars while on the road.

“We don’t need a test that fails students for ridiculous reasons,” he said.  “We need a test that makes sure drivers are ready to drive in the real world.”