Whitman graduate exhibits political prowess

Five years ago, Kyle Lierman was your typical Whitman student sitting in class, listening to teachers, and doing his homework.  But now, after graduating from George Washington University, Lierman is a candidate for the Maryland House of Delegates.

Kyle Lierman (center) shakes Bethesda residents' hands during the fourth of July parade. Photo courtesy Kim MacDonald.

After tomorrow’s elections, 23-year-old Lierman could become the second-youngest member to ever hold the Maryland delegacy.

“I look at my age as an advantage,” Lierman says.  “I’m hoping to be a bridge between the older generations and young people. It might not be good if we had 141 23-year-old delegates, but one is alright.”

From an early age Lierman was participating in elections. His father, current chief of staff for House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer, was also the chair of Maryland’s Democratic party.

“I’ve been involved in politics for most of my life. I grew up surrounded by it, going to ‘meet-and-greets’ and fundraisers for politicians,” he says.  “My dad ran for Congress in 2000 and my sister has worked on several campaigns.”

At Whitman, Lierman was captain of the basketball team, co-president of the Young Democrats and a Black & White writer.

“He had his hands in lots of pots,” childhood friend Carl Ehrlich (’05) says. “But everyone knew him as a really sweet guy.”

Clare Farrell (’05) met Lierman freshmen year of high school, and remembers his friendly and outgoing personality.

“Looking back now, if he ever wanted to get involved, he would be extremely effective,” Farrell says. “No matter who you are, he treats everyone the same, like they’re his good friend.”

Lierman surprised himself in his quick decision to run less then a year after getting his college degree.

“I definitely wouldn’t have seen myself running for office five years ago, but it all came together this year,” Lierman says.

He was a pretty popular face, even during his high school years.

“Carl [Ehrlich] and I both participated in Mr. Whitman; it was a lot of fun,” he says.

Now, with elections tomorrow, Lierman hopes his Obama-esque youth can win him a seat in Annapolis.