LIVE: Boys volleyball takes on Poolesville in second round of playoffs

What Not to Wear host promotes business in Bethesda

Stacy London, co-host of What Not to Wear, promoted the launch of her new business, Style for Hire, in Bethesda Sept. 14.

Stacey London (center) posed with young fans in a Bethesda boutique. Photo by Priya Kumar.

London employed independent stylists to give one-on-one fashion advice to clients in their homes and at stores.

“We show customers what flatters their body type, what colors look best on them, how to pull an outfit together and what accessories would match,” said Margaret Lily, a stylist for Style for Hire.

London, co-host of the TLC hit What Not to Wear, visited several boutiques in Bethesda including Urban Chic, National Jean Company and Sassanova, where she advised customers on the best styles for their body type.

“I think middle aged and elderly women are often so apprehensive about not showing any skin that they overdo it,” London said while advising a customer at Urban Chic. “You should find a balance between the two extremes.”

London said she created the company with her friend Cindy McLaughlin because of their desire to help people make smart fashion choices.

Stylists, who set their own prices ranging from $65 to $250 an hour, offer a variety of services. They can go through the clients’ wardrobe at their house, go shopping with their clients or recommend new looks.

“We’re a company made for people who hate to shop,” London said. “Our stylists are born shoppers.”

Some fans came from across Maryland and Virgina to see London. Angelica Talaan, a Clarendon resident, heard about London’s visit through a Facebook message posted by Bethesda Row.

“Seeing her made my whole month,” Talaan said. “I buy all of the products she supports, and watch all the shows. I’m so crazy right now, I can barely breathe!”

London said their company is unique because it targets people of all different ages and sizes.

“The demographic is big and wide, from teenagers who are looking for the perfect prom dress, to grandmothers looking for comfortable clothing, to professional women who want to be stylish but also age appropriate,” London said.