LIVE: Boys volleyball takes on Poolesville in second round of playoffs

Outstanding seniors recognized with prestigious awards

Awards for the graduating class of 2010 recognize outstanding seniors for their achievements in several categories. For a complete list of winners, click here.

• Jerome M. Marco Award: The SGA awarded seniors David Garrison and Sarah Craig this award for excellence in leadership. Each candidate submitted an application in April and participated in an interview with a panel of SGA students and faculty members. Craig distinguished herself as editor-in-chief of the Black & White and captain of the varsity girls lacrosse team. Garrison stood out as president of Best Buddies since sophomore year.
  • Community Service: The Van Hollen Public Service Award, Jane Fairweather award and Meritorious Service awards all acknowledge students who stand out for their contributions to community service.
  • Academic Achievement: Academic departments at the state level determine the recipients of the Governor’s and President’s awards, which recognize high scoring students based on their weighted and unweighted GPA. This year the cutoff for the Governor’s award was a weighted 4.70 GPA and the cutoff for the President award was a 3.50 unweighted GPA.
  • College Scholarships and Awards: Alabama, Dayton, Cincinnati and Ohio Universities, as well as Virginia and Georgia Tech, award students for excellence in academic achievement. Ronnie Foreman, who will attend Georgia Tech next year, won their President’s Scholarship award. The award is only offered to 100 top students across the nation.
  • The Phi Delta Kappa International Prospective Educator Scholarship: Christina Carnie won this award for a student who intends to pursue a career in education.
  • The Intel Science Search: Kettner Griswold was a semifinalist in this competition, which recognizes students for achievements in science research.
  • Other students include this year’s 22 National Merit Finalists. Additionally, Mark D. Lee won the Horatio Alger Award, awarded to student who has overcome difficulties to succeed in high school.