LIVE: Boys volleyball takes on Poolesville in second round of playoffs
Boys volleyball stuns Springbrook 3–0

Goodwin announces new graduation speaker

Schieffer is the host of Face the Nation, a show where he interviews political pundits on thematic issues each week. Photo courtesy www.columbia.edu.

Bob Schieffer, moderator of Face the Nation, will speak at the graduation ceremony June 14, Principal Alan Goodwin announced in an e-mail to WhitNet this morning.

Schieffer replaces former White House correspondent Helen Thomas, who was asked not to speak after she made controversial comments about the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

With help from a parent who works for CBS, administrators finalized the decision yesterday.

“He is known to be a really classy person,” Goodwin said. “I regret that the controversy arose at all, but this speaker helps to solidify the moment of celebration.”

Many students are pleased with the new speaker, but continue to discuss the controversy surrounding Thomas’ comments.

“I think it’s really cool that we could get someone that high profile on a moments notice,” senior Jane Kessner said. “Some kids who I wouldn’t expect to have an opinion on the matter are making really good arguments. I like that people care enough to get involved.”

Schieffer has worked for CBS since 1969 and has been its Chief Washington Correspondent since 1982.

“He was at the top of our list of speaker candidates,” Goodwin said. “He’s highly respected in the field of journalism and will bring the right aura to graduation.”