North Bethesda students excel in Science Olympiad

Students perform an experiment as they compete, learn, and have fun at the Science Olympiad. Photo courtesy http://marylandscienceolympiad.org.

Chemistry, anatomy, meteorology, forensics, robotics, astronomy. No, this isn’t a science course sign-up sheet, and it’s not a textbook index, either. This list, along with many other science-related topics, composes the Science Olympiad, an organization which promotes teens’ science knowledge through competitions.

At North Bethesda Middle School, a team of 30 students won the state tournament this year. They subsequently participated in the national tournament on May 20, where they placed 51st in the country.

“Winning the state championship takes a lot of time, effort and practice,” says Al Causey, director of the Maryland Science Olympiad.

North Bethesda seventh grader Jonathan Zisk says joining the Science Olympiad team fulfilled his thirst for science and competition.

“I really like the competitions because you get to meet kids from all over — not just within the state, but around the country,” he says. “It’s a lot of work before competitions, but at the end, it’s really rewarding.”

Teams across the country compete in the Olympiad, answering questions and performing experiments.

“The tournaments are just like track meets,” Causey says. “You compete in 23 different competitions with a partner throughout the day.”

Science Olympiad teaches students how to deal with competition, as well as physics and biology, says Science Olympiad executive board member Jenny Kopach.

Causey agrees, saying that the popularity can be attributed to the goal of Science Olympiad.

“Our goal is to have fun with science and technology,” Causey says. “We happen to do that by highlighting the importance of cooperation and teamwork.”

For those involved, Science Olympiad achieves a balance between a fun after-school activity and an educational experience.

“If you like science, meeting new people and having fun, then it’s for you,” Zisk says.