5 underrated music venues

Are you sick of going to the same crowded, overpriced music venues? The Black & White investigated to find the most cost-conscious and exciting locations to spice up your weekend.

The Metro Gallery

The Metro Gallery functions as a performance space, art gallery and bar located in the Station North Arts District in downtown Baltimore (1700 N. Charles St.). Since its opening in 2007, the venue has hosted countless local up-and-coming artists on a weekly basis. Tickets range from around $12-$18 and most allow all ages. If you’re interested in supporting new artists, exploring art and photo galleries and being in a smaller, more relaxed environment, Metro Gallery is be the perfect place.

Tickets, calendars and other information can be found here.

Rams Head Live!

rams head
Photo courtesy of Rams Head Live!

Established in 2004, Rams Head Live! is the epitome of a party venue. Lights, balloons and confetti cover dancing crowds in the Baltimore space. Rock, folk, alternative and countless other genres from every age and era are represented in the two-story building. Most similar to the 9:30 club, Rams Head Live! hosts lesser-known performers alongside more famous artists like Charlie Puth. The venue also offers an assortment of fast food options, including fries, burgers and nachos. Tickets average between $12 and $30 and can be bought online or at the door.

Villain & Saint

Located right on Wisconsin Avenue in Bethesda, Villain & Saint makes for one of the most convenient overlooked destinations. As the name suggests, the venue is host to contrasts. Music of every era and every genre is performed, attracting music lovers of all ages. Both local and better-known artists take the stage at the concert hall and restaurant. If you’re looking for a full menu to go along with your concert, this is the ideal place to be. While some shows require that anyone under the age of 21 be accompanied by a parent or guardian, there are plenty of shows for all ages. With ticket and food prices ranging from around $7 to $10, Villain & Saint would make a perfect cheap dining and music opportunity.

Tickets, calendars, menus and other information can be found here.

Sound Stage

Photo courtesy of Sound Stage.
Photo courtesy of Sound Stage.

Sound Stage is the perfect place to see well-known singers and bands like Carly Rae Jepsen, We The Kings and even Nick Carter for a fraction of the price of other venues. Tickets range from $15 to $30 and all ages are welcome for most events. Located in Baltimore’s inner harbor, it hosts every genre from heavy metal to neo-soul to dubstep, spoken word to “everything in-between.” The Baltimore concert hall offers a lively but intimate experience that is actually affordable. An assortment of snack foods and desserts are also available.

Jammin Java

A personal favorite, Jammin Java offers a chill and inviting environment for people of all ages. Up-and-coming artists and old favorites take the stage in the cozy, dimly lit coffee-shop venue. A few years back I saw Rachel Platten perform there twice before she became the international pop star that she is today. Former American Idol and The Voice competitors and winners like David Cook and Tony Lucca often perform, but most music tends to be indie-folk related. Most tickets for general admission tend to be around $20, and a full menu is offered at the bar. Jammin Java is located in Vienna, Virginia.

So don’t waste your time and money going to the same, over-priced venues anymore. Save that money for a car or college or a t-shirt from an awesome concert you attended at one of these venues; enjoy good food, great music and jamming with your friends.