LIVE: Boys volleyball takes on Poolesville in second round of playoffs

Sam Lilek wins Mr. Whitman 2010

Mr. Whitman contestants line up before the first elimination round to narrow candidates down to the top 8. Photo by Claire Bartholomew.

Screams and cheers filled the auditorium Saturday night as emcees Maddy Carnemark and Sarah Blush lined up Mr. Whitman finalists Danny Shanahan, Amol Mehta and Sam Lilek.

“And Mr. Whitman is Sam Lilek!”

Lilek, whose talent was a video about his greatest passion in life, won the coveted Mr. Whitman sash and viking hat to represent his title. Sean Hyatt won the Miss Congeniality Award.

The night began with all 16 contestants walking across the stage with their mothers holding flowers. The contestants then attempted to woo the emcees with creative pick-up lines; Nick Merlene checked Carnemark’s pulse and then sniffed, “You’ll do.”

Then came the talent portion. The talents ranged from absurd to touching, from Sammy Zeisel’s spot-on Elvis impersonation, complete with pelvis thrusts and guttural growl, to Amol Mehta’s soulful saxophone rendition of “What a Wonderful World.”

Kyle Schliefer raised females’ temperatures with his version of Justin Bieber’s “One Time.” He even went into the audience to serenade a girl. Andrew Dahreddine danced to Lady Gaga’s “Bad Romance” in neon pink spandex and silver make-up.

Amol Mehta plays the saxophone to "What a Wonderful World" as his talen for Mr. Whitman. Photo by Claire Bartholomew.

Teacher judges then voted to narrow down the contestants to the top eight. Emcees asked each contestant a question; most answers were filled with sexual innuendo. After that, the judges narrowed the pool further to the top three.

To decide the winner, the emcees asked each candidate a question while the other two waited back stage in the green room. After the judges voted, emcees announced the winner.

All proceeds from the event went to the Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis Association.