Robotics team finishes second in final offseason tournament

The robotics team placed second out of 26 teams in their final offseason tournament last Saturday.

In the competition, the robot the team used (pictured above) had to stack as many containers and totes as possible on its platform. Photo courtesy Ethan Putnam.

Whitman hosted the tournament “Rumble in the Roads,” where teams’ robots needed to collect and stack totes and containers in the “Recycle Rush” challenge.

Points were awarded for how many totes and containers the robot could stack on the platform, junior Natalie Cohn said.

Whitman’s team, Team 1389 The Body Electric, earned third in the first round and made it through semifinals, but ultimately lost in finals.

“We did well because we were consistent in scoring in qualifiers and picked good alliance teams going into the semis,” Cohn said.

The team overcame changes in who controlled the robot during the challenge and problems with the motors, senior Landon Perlman said.

Moving into building season, which starts Jan. 9, the team hopes to provide building experience for the new members and begin designing for their next challenge, he said.

Overall, the team is satisfied with their success in the offseason and ready to move into the regular season this January.

“We’ve done very well in offseason tournaments and feel good about our developing reputation,” Cohn said. “This weekend is more of a bonus, being that in January, the new challenge will come out and we’ll have to start from scratch.”