LIVE: Boys volleyball takes on Poolesville in second round of playoffs
Boys volleyball stuns Springbrook 3–0

Talent Show 2k15 revolutionizes

Curtains swung open Thursday, Friday and Saturday night to reveal seniors Jivko Andonov and Jason Dunn, poised to rap UGK’s “International Players Anthem.” This act was the first of 22 energetic performances of Talent Show 2k15.

This year’s talent show stunned audiences with its revolutionary theme, powerful acts, and heartfelt, all-senior finale. The show featured dance and instrumental solos, with both live and pre-recorded skits adding comedy every few performances.

Junior Kaycie Goral sings Florence and the Machine’s “Girl With One Eye. Photo by Michelle Jarcho.

Performances ranged from senior Guilan Massoud rapping Kanye West’s “All of the Lights” to sophomore Becky Keteltas and junior Bryan Eng singing Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova’s softer “Falling Slowly.”

Among the student groups were Drumline, Poms, Jazz Band and a capella groups “Pitch Please” and “Solid and Sound.”

One unique aspect of this year’s Talent Show was the introduction of intricate dance acts. Junior Adin Kramer played “Arabesque” on the piano as senior Natalie Pagenstecher danced a contemporary solo.

Senior Rebecca Rahman, senior Jordan Abramowitz and junior Sophie Bevirt sang vocals for “Glory and Gore” to accompany five dancers downstage who added a captivating visual component to the act.

Director Lucas Weals said he focused on eliminating the exclusion of certain grades or groups of friends present in previous years.

ackXtfVQf67rA55QZxo_mn33wu0gwh8cT2gDAgU4ERc
Senior Natalie Pagenstecher dances in a spotlight solo. Photo by Michelle Jarcho.

“This year had an incredible variety of acts and performers, a huge composition of underclassmen, and an emphasis on artistry as a uniting force, not a force of ego or exclusion,” he said.

Acting skits cleverly played off of the show’s theme to depict a “revolution” at school, fueled by the acting students’ frustration with “unnecessary rules at Whitman.”

“The acting was funny and it was all really well done,” sophomore Jeff Su said.

With 67 members of tech and production staff, students were in control of the production, design and direction of the show.

“The fact that this is all student-run shows what we’re capable of,” lighting designer Julia Sienkiewicz said.

Assistant director Nikki Ladd praised the crew for their hard work and dedication to the show. The technicians’ endless efforts added to and elevated the work of the performers, she said.

“Talent Show 2k15 will go down in history,” she said.