The best movies to watch to study for your AP history exam
A guide to the May 14th Primary Elections
HVAC system malfunction causes evacuation, disrupts student testing
Girls lacrosse falls to Sherwood 10–9 in county championships
Whitman ranked second-best high school in Maryland, 139th nationally
Baseball falls to Magruder 10–9

Baseball falls to Magruder 10–9

“The D.U.F.F.” offers laughs, relatable storyline

Awkwardness is a teenage epidemic. We all face the treacherous moments of humiliation in front of friends, crushes and teachers. And despite the constant message from parents, siblings, and friends about its lack of importance in the course of life, each uncomfortable fumble feels like the whole world is crumbling to pieces (not to be too dramatic).

The ability to laugh at these terrible moments, though, seems to help—which explains the thunderous amounts of laughter and applause at the screening of the new movie, “The D.U.F.F” coming out Feb. 20, 2015.

The movie focuses on a new word, “D.U.F.F.” or the “Designated Ugly Fat Friend.” Senior misfit Bianca (Mae Whitman) tries to rid herself of this title while chasing a dreamy musician, Toby (Nick Eversman), with the help of an egotistical jock, Wesley (Robbie Amell).

Bianca is a teenage outcast who happens to be best friends with two of the “hottest” girls in school. After Wesley and his crazy on-and-off girlfriend and queen bee Madison (Bella Thorne) make Bianca publically aware of her apparent social dilemma, she “unfriends” the best friends who had allegedly enlisted Bianca as their D.U.F.F. and sets off to create her own identity.

Personally, I struggled to look past Bella Thorne as any actress other than one of Disney’s “Shake it Up.” However, Thorne’s depiction of the school’s “mean girl” was on par for a girl’s worst nightmare.

While skeptical of the predictable, “ugly girl (who’s not actually ugly) loves boy, girl gets pretty, boy falls in love with her” plot line, I thoroughly enjoyed the painfully awkward moments that were so exaggerated yet so realistic.

The mildly inappropriate humor surrounding high school relationships created a definite parallel to the legendary “Mean Girls,” even including the time freeze moments to ponder the hypotheticals of what we wish we could, but wouldn’t do.

And while nothing could live up to the historical greatness of “Mean Girls,” “The D.U.F.F.” certainly provides some good laughs, uncontrollable cringing and a satisfyingly entertaining movie experience.