Community members participate in annual Turkey Chase

Like most turkeys on the table during Thanksgiving, most Bethesda residents would rather be running away. Running…a turkey chase.

Thanksgiving morning, over 10,000 runners and supporters gathered around the Bethesda YMCA to celebrate the annual Turkey Chase. The event includes a kid’s run, a two mile run and a 10k which trailed through the streets and neighborhoods of Bethesda.

Photo by Hayley Segall.
Thanksgiving morning, over 10,000 runners and supporters gathered around the Bethesda YMCA to celebrate the annual Turkey Chase. Photo by Hayley Segall.

Carla Larrick, who co-founded the event in 1982, believes that the event attracts all ages and sparks traditions upon traditions.

“It is so fantastic because everyone comes out for the Turkey Chase,” Larrick said. “It’s like a reunion.”

Tents engulfed the YMCA track with water and food stations, music, dancing and human turkeys pumping up the crowd.

Whitman students, alums and families could be spotted amongst the enormous crowd in both the two mile and 10k event. Alum Gisele Nighswander (’13) ran the 10k with her sister, junior Cassie Nighswander and alum Jake Ford (’14).

“I think it’s so fun,” Gisele said. “It brings a lot of energy.”

Along the 10k route volunteers and locals manned water stations and shouted encouragements.

“Random people were cheering for you,” Gisele Nighswander said.

The event’s proceeds were in support of the YMCA.

“Our net proceeds go right back into the community through YMCA programs and services,” race director Tracy Miller said.

The thousands of participants enthusiastically gave thanks to the community through clothing donations, registration payments and overall positive attitudes.

“It’s so much fun to see 10,000 people on our field and on the street for Thanksgiving morning burning calories so they can eat their big Thanksgiving dinner that evening,” Larrick said.

And after all, it’s all about that Turkey, isn’t it?