LIVE: Boys volleyball takes on Poolesville in second round of playoffs

Swapping Play-Doh for parking passes: former Bradley Hills administrator to become assistant principal

Trading crayons for Scantrons can’t be an easy transition for anyone.  Later this year, new assistant principal Sandra Reece will make that difficult switch when she transfers from Bradley Hills Elementary School to Whitman.

Reece was an elementary and middle school music teacher before her transition to administration 11 years ago.  Reece has been at Bradley Hills for these past 11 years, supervising over many current Whitman students back in their elementary school days.

Reece decided to make the switch to Whitman because she wanted to take the opportunity to reconnect with her former Bradley Hills students.

“I will, of course, enjoy seeing all of the former Bradley Hills students,” Reece said.

In Reece’s view, high school is a different world, something she left behind in her teenage years.  High school is a completely different type of administrative work from elementary school, so Reece will definitely be in for a change.

“I haven’t worked in a high school, and I think it will be very different and that I will learn a lot,” Reece said.

While high school will be a learning experience for Reece, she says it will be difficult to leave the world of make-believe and childlike innocence behind.

“I will miss being with the students at Bradley Hills the most. Every day, I get surprised by them,” Reece said. “I love watching them change and grow.”

While we might not be growing as much as we did when we were nine, high school has a lot to offer the new assistant principal with a lot of chances to learn new ways of administration.

Reece will be in for a change dealing with teenagers as opposed to five year olds. This change will come with typical problems of teenagers, like scheduling issues and parking concerns.

Later in the year, current principal intern Karen Bryant will become the principal and Reece will take over Bryant’s current administrative duties.

While we may not have nap time, high school isn’t all APs and exams.  A change might be welcome and a fresh perspective in the office is always good.