The best movies to watch to study for your AP history exam
A guide to the May 14th Primary Elections
HVAC system malfunction causes evacuation, disrupts student testing
Girls lacrosse falls to Sherwood 10–9 in county championships
Whitman ranked second-best high school in Maryland, 139th nationally
Baseball falls to Magruder 10–9

Baseball falls to Magruder 10–9

Glen Echo Park offers unique, creative classes

After a day filled with academic stress, unwind and find your newest hobby at one of the unique classes offered at Glen Echo Park. The park offers classes for anyone and everyone with instructors that have years of experience in their field of expertise. People of all age groups, ranging from elementary school kids to elderly people are invited to try out the classes. Following are a handful of the most unique classes offered.

Beginning Irish Bodhran class:

Jesse Winch, a 71-year-old instructor from the Bronx, gives lessons about the Irish bodhran—an expressive percussion instrument that is used primarily as a back-up instrument for Irish country dancing. Winch has been playing the bodhran since 1968 when he discovered it at the Philadelphia Folk Festival. His class focuses on the traditional “Kerry-style” of playing, emphasizing drum positioning, stick control and basic styles, including the jig, reel, hornpipe, slip jig, slide, and polka.

“My favorite part is when a total beginner ‘gets it’ and starts to actually play in the bodhran style,” Winch said. “It’s extremely rewarding.”

The classes are held at the Washington Conservatory.

Stone Carving class:

This intimate class, ranging from six to seven students, is taught by Nizette Brennan. She began stone carving at the University of Maryland in a sculpture course and now teaches classes for students of all skill levels. Students can transform their limestone into any figure, though the most successful beginner sculptures are abstract sculptures or ones that mimic organic forms found in nature, she said.

Brennan teaches using the “direct carving method,” where the sculptor begins with a solid mass of limestone and reduces it systematically to the desired form. This gives a beginner maximum flexibility and the opportunity to become familiar with the tools and the stone.

“Stone carving is relaxing and fun,” Brennan said. “It’s a unique way to make a three-dimensional sculpture, a relief carving, or a functional stone piece such as a bird bath for your garden.”

Something else makes the class even more appealing to students.

“There are no grades,” Brennan said.

The classes are located at the Sculpture Studio.

Paint Your Own Furniture Class:

Have an old or ugly piece of furniture that could use a creative touch? Then Michelle Hilaire’s class is the place for you.

Photo courtesy Michelle Hilaire.
Above are examples of pieces made in Hilaire’s class. Students can bring any piece of furniture, including jewelry boxes, counter legs, kitchen accent pieces and more. Photo courtesy Michelle Hilaire.

Students can bring any piece of furniture, including jewelry boxes, counter legs, kitchen accent pieces and more. Hilaire also offers furniture for purchase to spruce up with paint and stencils.

From Hilaire’s point of view, everything can be restored to be beautiful with a bit of creativity.

“Never throw away something that can be repurposed or that just needs a facelift,” Hilaire said. “You’ll be pleasantly surprised at what a special piece it can become.”

The classes take place at the Arcade buildings.

Silversmithing Class:

Travel back in time to the 1800’s.

No experience is needed to sign up for Blair Anderson’s classes, where students learn the basics of silversmithing, including the techniques for using a torch, soldering, sawing and hammering. Anderson helps students perfect their sterling silver jewelry making each class.

Anderson has been silversmithing for over 20 years and has been teaching at the SilverWorks studio for five years. Anderson takes a laid-back approach in teaching and tries to create a nurturing environment for her classes, she said.

“Being able to empower or reveal another person’s talent is the greatest thing ever,” Anderson said. “It gives me great joy.”

All classes and open studio times take place at the SilverWorks studio.