Whitman Reacts: Wootton High School student arrested for planning school shooting

Domestic violence’s double standard

A startling video surfaced a few weeks ago of Ravens running back Ray Rice punching his then-fiancée (now wife) Janay Palmer in an elevator. The punch knocked Palmer off her feet and she smashed her head on the elevator handrail, knocking her unconscious. The elevator opened, and Rice is seen dragging Palmer out before a hotel employee helped her to her feet.

The video attracted major publicity, national coverage and a slew of celebrity input. The Ravens subsequently cut the veteran running back, potentially ending his career. Comedian Seth Rogen denounced Ray Rice as “a piece of garbage who shouldn’t be allowed to play [football] professionally anymore.” Even U.S. president Barack Obama issued a statement on the matter, adding that “hitting a woman is not something a real man does.”

But what if a woman does it?

U.S. women’s national soccer team goalkeeper Hope Solo was arrested in June on two counts of domestic violence on her sister and 17-year-old nephew. Yet this didn’t attract nearly as much attention as the Ray Rice incident did.

There’s a double standard when it comes to domestic violence. It isn’t simply limited to men abusing women, but it doesn’t always seem like that.

Solo’s actions didn’t draw a statement from President Obama or end her contract with Nike. In fact, Solo was not even benched or suspended by either of her two teams, while her male counterpart, Rice, was cut from the Ravens, suspended indefinitely by the National Football League (NFL) and dropped as a Nike athlete. The punishments given to Rice are indelible. He has potentially lost his career and will likely struggle to get another job because nobody will employ him as a result of his actions and the publicity of his mistake.

Being lenient with Solo fuels sexism and reverses progress to gender equality. Rarely do you hear about women beating up men, yet it’s more common than you think. Forty-six percent of partner abuse victims were men, according to data collected from Home Office statistical bulletins.

Domestic violence is domestic violence irrespective whether the perpetrator is a man or a woman. Punishment should be afforded equally, whether you’re a female Olympic soccer player or a male NFL player. If the NFL wants to deliver a harsh punishment to Rice, then Solo should face the same consequences.

Wake up, society; domestic violence isn’t simply an issue of men against women.