Whitman Reacts: Wootton High School student arrested for planning school shooting

Orioles, down 2-0, still have legitimate World Series chance

Down by three in the eighth with the bases loaded, Orioles pinch hitter Delmon Young stepped up to the plate and hit a three-run double to help the Orioles defeat the Tigers in a one-run victory. Such clutch plays characterized the Orioles’ divisional series sweep against the Tigers.

The Orioles capture the final out in their 12-3 victory over the Tigers in game one of the ALDS. Photo by Tyler Jacobson.
The Orioles capture the final out in their 12-3 victory over the Tigers in game one of the ALDS. Though down in the series, the O’s have the power hitting and strong pitching necessary to move on to the next round. Photo by Tyler Jacobson.

With home advantage, the Orioles dominated the Tigers in their first game, 12-3, came from behind to win in their second, 7-6 and won in a pitchers duel in their third, 2-1.

This series showcased why the Orioles are truly a legitimate contender, even down 2-0 to the Royals. Though the O’s are in a bit of a hole, this is October baseball—anything can happen and you shouldn’t lose faith in the O’s.

Lets take a look at why the Orioles still have a chance to come back and win the ALDS.

In their first game against the Tigers, the O’s put on an impressive offensive showcase, scoring 12 runs, eight of which came in the bottom of the eighth inning.

The Orioles came out quick against the former Cy Young winner, Max Scherzer, scoring three runs in the first two innings and then dominated a lack-luster Tigers bullpen that gave up nine runs.

Nelson Cruz tied Babe Ruth for post-season home runs with his two run shot in the first and then drove in another run later in the eighth. Cruz has incredibly impressive post-season numbers and will lead the Orioles offensively. He is a large part of why the Orioles’ offense has the ability to come back against a tough Royals pitching staff.

In addition, the team has the clutch factor going for them, as the Orioles’ 7-6 come-from-behind win demonstrates. All season the O’s have been able to come back and change games by their bursts of offense, caused in large part by their ability to hit home runs. They led the majors with 211 homers.

Finally, the Orioles have an underrated yet effective pitching staff which has the talent to battle with some of the league’s best. In their three games against the Tigers, the Orioles pitched even games with three former Cy Young winners in Max Scherzer, Justin Verlander and David Price.

It’s hard to overlook any pitching staff can hang in there with the big dogs like Scherzer. They’re clearly more than enough to battle with the best in the league.

Down 2-0 to the Royals, the Orioles’ odds of winning the ALCS may seem slim. However, in their first two games they lost in extra innings and the ninth inning respectively. They are not being blown out by the Royals and remember folks: it’s October, and anything can happen.