A tip of the cap to Derek Jeter

As lifelong New York Yankees fans, the retirement of Derek Jeter hits close to home. A hero to millions of fans around the world, Jeter was a consistent figure of professionalism in the 20 years that he played. We broke down Jeter’s game into three major factors that made him one of the best athletes we’ve ever seen.

1. Mr. November was both clutch and consistent.

Jeter is sixth on the all-time hit list with 3,465 hits during his time as a Yankee. He has 200 career postseason hits, the most in history, and hit a game-winning home run in Game 4 of the 2001 World Series. When the game came down to the wire, you could always count on the steadiness of DJ’s bat or the regularity his glove.

2. DJ was an incredible athlete.

A 14-time All-Star and five-time World Series champion, Jeter was able to man his shortstop position all the way to his last day on the field. His patented “jump throw” has been replicated by thousands of major league and little-league players alike, yet only Jeter could do it with the finesse and accuracy that leads to perfect throws to first.

3. El Capitan was the best leader in baseball history.

Derek Jeter will arguably go down in history as the best captain in baseball history. His leadership on and off the field helped him secure the nickname El Capitan and the title of the 2000 World Series MVP. His humble attitude and reliability in a media-hyped New York City made him a respected sports figure for decades. Jeter always maintained the highest standard of baseball civility, staying away from steroids and answering the critics through his gameplay.

Thank you, Derek Jeter, for all of the amazing memories, you will be missed.