National Zoo hosts “Rock N’ Roar”

No lions could be found sleeping at the National Zoo on Friday, but rather hundreds of locals rocking out to some of the music industry’s best at “Rock n’ Roar.”

The musical event was sponsored by Friends of the National Zoo (FONZ), and hosted by local radio station 94.7 Fresh FM. Local artist Joseph Keith and national sensation, The Fray, took the stage in support of the National Zoo in an event accurately named “Rock n’ Roar.”

The intimate outdoor setting of the zoo’s courtyard attracted all ages, ranging from toddlers to seniors. Food trucks and drink stands lined the pathway down to the concert dome. The family event was relaxed enough for a picnic on a blanket, but exhilarating enough to hear the thunderous cheers ringing through your ears as the night progressed.

The crowd relaxed to the opening act, D.C. artist Joseph Keith. 20-year-old Keith has written over 80 songs since the beginning of his career nearly nine years ago. FONZ contacted him while searching for local artists to perform at the event.

“Opportunities like this, you’ve gotta seize those,” Keith said.

Keith said this was probably the biggest crowd he had ever performed for, and it was for a great cause, as he is an animal lover himself.

Amongst the crowd were sophomores Camryn Dahl, Grace Montag and Annie Waye who lounged on a blanket as Keith performed his opening number.

Amongst the crowd were sophomores Camryn Dahl, Grace Montag and Annie Waye who lounged on a blanket as Keith performed his opening number. Photo by Hayley Segall.

Although they had originally come to see The Fray, Keith impressed Waye.

“He matched well with the crowd there,” Waye said. “My mom bought one of his CDs.”

Local DJ and talk show host, Tommy McFly, hosted the event and mingled with the bumbling crowd.

McFly has hosted the event for the past two years and couldn’t have had more praise for the cause.

“We don’t spend enough time here,” McFly said. “FONZ does a great job making the zoo for everybody.”

After The Fray took the stage, fans got to their feet to get as close to the band as possible. The group performed many of their hits including, “How to Save a Life,” which they dedicated to the animals of the Zoo, and “You Found Me.”

The audience started a wave of lit phones when The Fray sang "Never Say Never."  Photo by Hayley Segall.
Members of the audience swayed with lit phones when The Fray sang, “Never Say Never.” The group performed many of their hits, including “How to Save a Life” and “You Found Me.” Photo by Hayley Segall.

The night’s ambiance was a fun combination of a love for music and a love for animals.

The Fray finished the set by exclaiming, “125 years it’s been open, let’s keep it open another 125.”

The audience danced and roared in cheers and sang along to every word, even starting a wave of swaying phones to the more emotional ballads.

“This night is literally perfect,” McFly said. “The weather, the music, the people and the tigers.”