Whitman ranked second-best high school in Maryland, 139th nationally
Baseball falls to Magruder 10–9
LIVE: Boys volleyball takes on Poolesville in second round of playoffs
Boys volleyball stuns Springbrook 3–0

Graduating teachers: Class of 2014

As graduation for seniors nears, so does the last day of teaching for many educators. Once roaming the halls lost as fresh-faced new teachers, these veterans are ready to say goodbye to scantrons and grading—at least at Whitman.

Whitman is losing ten of its teachers and administrators this year. They have contributed to the Whitman community in various ways, from sponsoring clubs to teaching classes, and their dedication has not gone unnoticed.

The graduating class of teachers of 2014 includes: Wayne Chadwick, Linda Elbaz, Matthew Bruneel, Carol Gough-Alonso, Brandi Heckert, Samantha Fowler, Khan Pham, Ellen Pollster, Kathryn Sarathu and Dan Wolfe.

Retiring music teacher Wayne Chadwick has taught in Montgomery County for 30 years and has been teaching at Whitman full-time since 1995. Chadwick’s position will be filled by Heather Borsum, a teacher at Garrett Park Elementary School.

Linda Elbaz is a teacher of the Visually Impaired who is based at Whitman but travels to seven other schools. Over her 40 years of teaching, Elbaz has taught at 96 different schools.

“Whitman has always been one of my favorite schools because of the administration, guidance, office staff and the teachers,” she said.

Matthew Bruneel is an English teacher who teaches AP Language and Composition and ninth-grade English. He is leaving this summer for a two-year stint in the Peace Corps, during which he will live with his wife in Cambodia. Bruneel plans to either teach English or educate Cambodian teachers how to do so.

Carol Gough-Alonso is a Spanish teacher and a longtime member of the Whitman Language team. Alonso teaches AP Spanish Language and Spanish 2, and is moving to Seneca Valley where she will be the Foreign Language Resource Teacher.

Alonso said she will miss the students at Whitman more than anything else.

“The kids, the kids are the best,” she said.

Brandi Heckert, an involved administrator and member of the Whitman community, is being moved after four years on the administration team. Heckert was randomly selected to leave to make room for principal intern Karen Bryant, who will arrive sometime next year.

Samantha Fowler is a social studies teacher who mostly teaches Honors US History, but subbed for AP NSL teacher Suzy Johnson, who was on maternity leave. After only one year at Whitman, Fowler is leaving to teach AP NSL and US history at Northwest High School.

After two years at Whitman, IED teacher Khan Pham is moving back to BCC where he was for one year before coming to Whitman. The amount of students taking IED classes has decreased because more students are taking it at Pyle, Pham said. Since four classes of IED are being cut, Pham had no choice but to transfer.

“I’m extremely sad that I’m leaving, and hopefully next year I won’t regret it,” Pham said.

Ellen Polster teaches physics and honors physics and has been at Whitman for one year. She will be teaching math and science at Einstein High School next year.

“I’m going to miss my wonderful colleagues in the science department and seeing the juniors and underclassmen I taught this year when they return next year,” Polster said.

Kathryn Sarathu is a Spanish teacher at Whitman who teachers honors Spanish 2 and 3. Sarathu said she is moving to a middle school “up-county.” There, she will be teaching Spanish 1 or 2.

Dan Wolff is a Whitman alum who graduated in 2001. For the last 6 years he has been teaching special education in the emotional disability cluster. He is going to the Potomac School in McLean Virginia where he will be the head Upper School Learning Specialist. He will also coach football and baseball.

“I have made many memories that can never be replaced. I have much pride for Whitman and it is bitter sweet for me to leave,” Wolff said.

High school is considered the best time of one’s life, so it makes sense that these teachers would never want to leave.

Teachers: it is now time to turn the tassels on your graduation caps, to celebrate, and to go where life takes you. Congratulations to the graduating teachers of 2014 and in the words of Elle Woods, ‘We did it!’