Fun activities for the warm weather

After a winter that lasted an eternity, it’s finally safe to pull out the shorts and flip-flops. But after so much time spent trying to avoid the snow, it can be difficult to adjust to the blooming flowers and warm weather.

To help smooth the transition, here are some outdoor activities to try this spring and summer.

Rent boats on the Potomac

This cool activity allows you not only to bask in the sweet sunshine, but also to admire the beautiful scenery that makes up downtown DC and Georgetown. Thompson’s Boat Center gives lessons that, though pricy, will allow you to become a certified sculler. This certification lets you rent boats. Kayaks and canoes require no training and can be rented on an hourly basis or for the day. Enjoy the gorgeous weather while cruising by the famous monuments and beautiful trees on the shore.

Pick your own produce

Butler’s Orchard and Homestead Farm both offer a wide variety of vegetables and fruits to pick, depending on the season. Starting at the end of May and going through the summer, the selection ranges from strawberries to snap peas. Prices are based on how much you pick. Go home soaked in vitamin D and ready to eat the fruits of your labor—literally!

Check out museums in DC

Berlin Wall Gallery.  Credit: Sam Kittner/Newseum.
Berlin Wall Gallery. Credit: Sam Kittner/Newseum.

The Newseum is offering a few new exhibits this summer, including the “Pictures of the Year” from 2013 and “News for All,” which documents how immigrants and minorities use media to fight for their rights. Feeling patriotic? Celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Museum of American History. Francis Scott Key’s original manuscript of the Star-Spangled Banner is on display at the museum from June 14 to July 6.

Go hiking

If you’re tired of the Billy Goat Trail, try something different. Maryland Heights in Harper’s Ferry is just an hour away and offers a scenic overlook after an uphill climb through Civil War history. The Appalachian Trail and Sugarloaf Mountain also offer beautiful views and some classic outdoor fun.