Whitman Reacts: Wootton High School student arrested for planning school shooting

Hallway etiquette: Hunger Games edition

A group of freshman tributes from District 1 cut in front of the pack, frantically zigging and zagging to make it to their next class before the hallways become a war zone.

Known for their small stature and quick maneuvering, they weave in between burly seniors from District 4 en route to the safety of their classrooms.

Almost to their destination where they will be allowed a quick rest until the next bell sounds, our young heroes are stalled by a slow-paced, cackling group of sophomore girls from District 2. One tribute from District 1 is slammed in the face by a monstrous Jansport and is immediately launched into a bright yellow locker.

This image released by Lionsgate shows Josh Hutcherson as Peeta Mellark, from left, Elizabeth Banks as Effie Trinket and Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss Everdeen in a scene from "The Hunger Games: Catching Fire." The movie opens in theaters Friday, Nov. 22, 2013, in what's expected to be one of the year's biggest box-office debuts. (AP Photo/Lionsgate, Murray Close)
Seniors, like Katniss and Peeta, have already gone through the Hunger Games before (AP Photo/Lionsgate, Murray Close).

The remaining freshmen look at each other, not speaking, and quickly reach a mutual agreement that their ally is lost for good. So they forge on.

After all, Whitman’s hallways are pure survival of the fittest, and there can only be one victor. That is unless you can beat the system; and to beat the system, you must know the system.

Firstly, while hard to avoid, keep in mind that the lip-locked couple leaned against the lockers is merely a strategic diversion, meant to distract passersby and throw them off their game. Freshmen: keep your eye on the prize, your head down, and your feet moving.

Next, it is vital to understand the importance of inter-district alliances. Befriend as many veterans (preferably the seniors of District 4) as possible, and assemble a troop for those perilous five minutes between classes. While amidst a Waud traffic jam, your best bet is to hang onto a District 4 tribute and hope for the best. Trust them—they know what they’re doing.

Finally, travel lightly. When dodging oncoming traffic, it is crucial that both you and your backpack make it through. Ultimately, your backpack is your lifeline and should contain only the most essential survival tools.

Fellow tributes, I leave you with this: the hallways are brutal, the path is treacherous, but armed with this arsenal of tricks, you will have what it takes. May the odds be ever in your favor.