Pet peeves for picky people

You may be the kindest, friendliest person in the world, but odds are you still have a pet peeve. Sure, there are the generic “loud gum-chewers” or “slow hallway-walkers.” But there are also the rarer pet peeves, the ones that drive you crazy but don’t make any sense to your friends. Hopefully you’ll agree with the need to give cold stares to any perpetrators of these pet peeves.

1. People who use big words but don’t know how to pronounce them

You would hope that people who are smart enough to sprinkle words like “inundate,” “cacophony” or “prerogative” into everyday language are able to pronounce them correctly. One of my friends is known as the human thesaurus, yet she only recently discovered that it’s pronounced the-SAUR-us, not THE-saur-us. Then again, I still have trouble pronouncing little words like “mauve” and “gauge,” so maybe I shouldn’t be talking.

2. People who say “You know…”

No, we don’t know. That’s why you’re telling us.

3. The notification bubbles on your iPhone apps

Part of being a compulsive neat freak is the need to have everything fully updated on my phone. I find it is unacceptable to leave the red software update notification over my settings app for more than two days. But only a week after I go through the painstaking task of clearing my phone to create storage, Apple releases a new update. Cue blaring red notification dot.

4. Shorts in the Winter

During the very beginning and very end of Winter, I see a surprising number of students wearing shorts. It astounds me how determined some girls wear shorts in 40-degree weather. Boys are just as bad, and I sometimes find myself seeing boys in their salmon pink khaki shorts in the middle of a December snowstorm. We all know you’re freezing. The dry skin alone should make hardcore shorts-wearers seek refuge in a cozy pair of jeans.

5. Eye contact in class or in the hallway

Not just any contact, but prolonged eye contact with a stranger. The worst. Then it keeps happening because once I make eye contact the first time, I need to check again to make sure they’re not still looking at me. But then they see me looking, and they look back. And then it happens again. It’s a vicious, shameful cycle. It’s even worse when I’m walking in the hallway, because now there’s the added pressure to say “hi”. The universe seems bent on intensifying my social awkwardness, so I usually end up giving an uncomfortable hand wave and then pointedly ignoring everyone else who passes by.

Unfortunately, there is no solution to pet peeves other than mentally monologuing your frustration or venting to friends. Hopefully you can take the high road by choosing to repress your anger. Or you can take it out on freshmen. Both are great options.