Late Night with Seth Meyers gives former SNL star well deserved spotlight

My family has a tradition of staying up on Saturday nights to watch Saturday Night Live together, and my favorite part has always been weekend update with Seth Meyers. So of course I was a little bummed when I heard that Meyers was leaving SNL to become the new host of Late Night.

I don’t usually enjoy change, but after two weeks of watching Late Night with Seth Meyers, I can officially say I am glad he has the new position.

Meyers has brought his great political humor, from the update desk to Late Night, starting each show with a monologue containing similar jokes about the news. He also added taped segments and skits to further poke fun at current events. Some of his jokes were well received, like his venn diagram, comparing toilet paper and snow as two things you can’t find in Sochi. Others fell a bit flat. But Meyers took it in stride, and eased the tension by joking about his first bomb.

Actress Amy Poehler and Vice President Joe Biden appear with host Seth Meyers on the premiere of "Late Night with Seth Meyers" on Monday, Feb. 24, 2014, in New York. (AP Photo/NBC, Peter Kramer)
Actress Amy Poehler and Vice President Joe Biden appear with host Seth Meyers on the premiere of “Late Night with Seth Meyers” Monday, Feb. 24, 2014, in New York. (AP Photo/NBC, Peter Kramer)

When he was interviewed by Jimmy Fallon, his predecessor, Meyers stated he was most worried about interviewing guests on the show, but so far he has done well.

Like Fallon, Meyers doesn’t spend a majority of his hour interviewing, but he has picked great hosts, who he can easily keep up an interesting conversation with. He plays to the strengths of his hosts— reminiscing with his SNL friends Amy Poehler and Keenan Thompson, discussing trains with Vice President Biden, and decorating dog bowls with Martha Stewart.

In the spirit of staying close to SNL (they’re in adjacent studios), Fred Armisen is the band leader. He appropriately applies his background in comedy to Late Night in a running gag with Meyers. He has a new project every night, from producing a show about recent history to creating a perfume that smells of rubber. It’s a wonderful addition of silliness to the show.

The show is definitely not perfect, but after Meyers ended his first show by inviting his audience to stay for five hours of notes, I know the jokes and interviews will only get better, as Meyers gets more comfortable with his new gig.