Whitman ranked second-best high school in Maryland, 139th nationally
Baseball falls to Magruder 10–9
LIVE: Boys volleyball takes on Poolesville in second round of playoffs
Boys volleyball stuns Springbrook 3–0

“The Lego Movie” delivers laughs and entertainment for all ages

“Toy Story” isn’t the only movie franchise to bring our favorite childhood toys to life. Millions of Lego fans around the world poured into theaters to see their childhood activity hit the big screen this past weekend, and they did so with good reason.

The Lego Movie is an instant classic, with heartwarming moments and comedy blending to make a near perfect movie that the whole family can enjoy. The movie has earned a 95% on Rotten Tomatoes and an 88% on IMDB, and has grossed over $70 million at the box office.

President Business, voiced by Will Ferrell, in a scene from "The Lego Movie." (AP Photo/Warner Bros. Pictures)
President Business, voiced by Will Ferrell, in a scene from “The Lego Movie.” (AP Photo/Warner Bros. Pictures)

The movie tells the story of Emmett (Chris Pratt), an ordinary construction worker with seemingly no special qualities, and follows his journey to save the world from the diabolical Lord Business (Will Ferrell), who plans to destroy the world using the Lego universe’s most powerful weapon, The Kragle. Throughout his quest, Emmet is aided by an all-star cast, including Elizabeth Banks, Will Arnett, Charlie Day, Morgan Freeman and Nick Offerman.

Despite being centered towards children, the movie delivered a constant stream of laughs to audience members of all ages, and did not lose steam once during its 100 minute run time. Without giving away any spoilers, the movie also included an extremely catchy song, which moviegoers will find near impossible to get out of their heads.

The film frequently relies on romantic tension between Emmett, and Wyldstyle, Elizabeth Bank’s character, to deliver some laughs, and while a bit cliche and cheesy, the romantic parts mesh into the film perfectly.

Another highlight of the film was Batman (Arnett), who drives a lot of the film’s action, and will hold fans of the caped crusader over until the 2016 sequel to “Man of Steel.”

With a surprising ending to which anyone who played with Legos can relate, the Lego Movie is on the path to becoming a classic for many years to come.