Water main breaks outside of newly installed gym floors

Shortly after maintenance staff turned on the water to the concession stand April 6, administrators found water bubbling up around the basketball court walls and grass. Photo by Sahil Ansari.

Caution tape blocked off the entrance to the outdoor basketball courts today as county maintenance employees worked to find the water main break that flooded the area outside the back entrance of the two gyms this morning.

Shortly after maintenance staff turned on the water to the concession stand April 6, administrators found water bubbling up around the basketball court walls and grass.

Principal Alan Goodwin said that they are still unsure where the break occurred.

“If it turns out it’s under the grass, then we are in good shape,” he said. “If it turns out it’s under the concrete, then they will have to start chopping up all the concrete. As a result, we have no water for the fields, so they can’t get drinks down there and we can’t water the turf. That’s not a problem yet, but we don’t want the turf to die.”

Goodwin made an announcement at the start of fourth period to warn students not to sit on the courts during lunch.

The new gym floors will be ready for P.E. classes this Monday. Photo by Sahil Ansari.

The water main break is unrelated to the late January flooding in the gyms, but is one of many structural problems the school has had this year. P.E. classes weren’t affected by the break and will be allowed back onto the new gym floors starting next Monday.

“We’re having a bad water year,” Goodwin said.