The evolution of tipping culture
Baseball advances to regional finals after beating Churchill 2–1
The best movies to watch to study for your AP history exam
A guide to the May 14th Primary Elections
HVAC system malfunction causes evacuation, disrupts student testing
Girls lacrosse falls to Sherwood 10–9 in county championships

Healthy tips for the holidays

It happens each winter break: people inevitably think they’ve shrunk their pants in the dryer after eating all the Christmas cookies in sight. This year, to avoid saying, “Ho Ho H-Oh no, I can’t fit into my pants anymore!” here are some tips for keeping the delicacies on your plate, while keeping the pounds off.

One foolproof strategy to lower the fat content and caloric value is to substitute a few healthier ingredients into holiday classics.

You can make a slimmed down version of mashed potatoes by going dairy free and replacing the cream and butter with chicken broth. If chicken broth isn’t your favorite, then try substituting light or fat-free sour cream, along with skim or reduced fat milk and butter. Adding garlic also gives another burst of flavor to the otherwise bland taste of potatoes.

If trying to decide between turkey and ham, the obvious choice may seem to be turkey, considering its lower fat content; however, a turkey’s skin, which gives it flavor, also has large amounts of fat. The healthiest option would definitely be the turkey without the skin, but if you’re leaving the skin on, the meat with the most flavor and lowest fat content is ham.

For cookies and other baked goods, you can substitute applesauce, egg whites or even yogurt for some of the butter. The cookies will keep the same consistency, but with slightly less fat. Disclaimer: the cookies, as with the potatoes, are not “healthy” with these substitutions, just “healthier”.

To keep the tradition of holiday baking alive while striving to be healthier, try baking in smaller quantities, like mini cupcakes or mini pumpkin breads. You can also give leftovers to friends, making happy friends and a healthier you.

But if altering the way you bake makes you feel like Scrooge, try participating in one of the local holiday races instead. There are a variety of courses, with different intensities and lengths, around the D.C. area.

The 12Ks of Christmas Holiday Run on the Capital Crescent Trail gives participants a chance to run a 12K for $45 or a 5K for $40 Dec. 14. Both include a t-shirt for finishers.

If running in the cold isn’t your cup of cocoa– don’t worry, it’s totally understandable– then try the next best calorie roaster around: dancing! Turn on the festive tunes or some great pop hits and dance to work off that second serving of ham.

An added bonus will be seeing aunts, uncles, and grandparents bust a move, while getting to try out a few new moves of your own in a judgement-free zone (well, for the most part).

Whether it be cutting back on the calories, participating in a run, or breaking into song and dance with family, there are plenty of easy ways to stay healthy and ensure you don’t have to roll yourself out to the car the next morning.