Duke freshman, former Editor-in-Chief achieves internet fame

By Kelley Czajka

A GIF (Graphics Interchange Format) of Duke freshman Isaac Rubin, former print Editor-in-Chief of the Black & White, went viral after he caught an errant pass and went crazy at the Duke v. Michigan basketball game, which aired live on ESPN Dec. 3.

The GIF, a short, soundless, repeating video, pans in and out on a blue-skinned, blue-wigged Rubin grabbing the ball and shaking it with an expression of shock and excitement on his face.

“I didn’t really understand what I was doing with this ball in my hands,” Rubin said. “I just kind of went insane for no good reason.”

The first to find humor in Rubin’s reaction was satirical Twitter user A. Isaac (WorldofIsaac), who almost instantaneously tweeted the GIF with the humorous caption: “His mom didn’t love him enough.” The GIF spread to other websites, including Guyism, BroBible and Barstool.

Isaac is the senior editor and co-founder of Guyism, a website with funny pictures, videos and GIFs for men. In his post about Rubin’s GIF, commenters called Rubin the “craziest person on Earth” and accused him of “popping a molly” before the game. Given the sarcastic nature of the site, Rubin said he was not offended because he knew the jokes were made in good humor.

“For the record, there was no alcohol or drugs in my system at the time,” Rubin said. “I was only running on enthusiasm for the Duke basketball team.”

Regardless of any negative comments, Rubin said he sees this experience as a positive one.  He is proud to represent the Cameron Crazies, Duke basketball’s student section, famous for outrageous cheering and school spirit.

“This is my first semester at the school, and I’m the best fan? Like, that’s cool. I can live with that,” Rubin said.