D.C.’s Independent Film Festival showcased much unknown talent

At the Naval Museum in the heart of D.C., little-known directors shared their masterpieces in the 12th annual Independent Film Festival. Photo by Julia Dane.

As the stars of Hollywood wrapped up their awards season with glitzy after-parties, D.C. gave filmmaking its own unique show of appreciation. Down a short, winding staircase at the Naval Museum in the heart of D.C., little-known directors shared their masterpieces in the 12th annual Independent Film Festival.

The audience was small; the screen even smaller. But the movies shown were worthy of just as much admiration as the Hollywood blockbusters made with million dollar budgets.

The festival, which ran from March 4 to 14, is an award-winning event showcasing over 100 independent films from all over the world. The films were split into 24 themes, with two or three different themes showing each night.

On Friday, March 12, the theme was “Senior Moments,” celebrating the good and the bad of old age.

The night began with “Sundowners,” a 15-minute film by American director Robin Seymour. Highlighting the impact of Alzheimer’s, the film follows a family struggling to stay together after the father is diagnosed. Despite the mediocre acting and slightly cheesy script, the story was believable as it portrayed a common family crisis.

Not 30 seconds after “Sundowners” ended, the screen lit back up, presenting the next movie. The creativity of independent filmmakers shone brightly in Australian Chris McHugh’s film, “No Junk Mail.” The film is a dark comedy about an old man who is annoyed because, despite the “No Junk Mail” sticker on his mailbox, he is met with multiple pamphlets advertising a local pizza store each morning. After filing several complaints and getting no response, war ensues between the older and the younger man who delivers the pamphlets, until the deliverer mysteriously disappears.

The film represents artistry at its best. McHugh filled the film’s entire 10 minutes with unusual camera angles, like one shot of someone looking at vivid, colored flowers from the man’s garden and another of the intimidating stare of a garden gnome through a magnifying glass. The dialogue is limited, but the actors beautifully tell the story with their actions.

“L’Uomo Giusto (The Right Guy),” an Italian feature-length film by director Toni Trupia, ended the night on a satisfying note. An inevitable tragedy, the story follows a 70-year old widower whose lonely, monotonous life suddenly changes when he forms a romantic relationship with a young Russian girl, who turns out to be a prostitute.

Taking place in the suburbs of Rome, the movie is in Italian with English subtitles, which is part of its appeal. Russian, without the aid of subtitles, is occasionally mixed into the dialogue, adding to the mystery of the girl’s true identity. Furthermore, the story, coupled with the convincing acting, is unique and captivating.

The festival was an enjoyable opportunity to watch entertaining movies with family or friends. The chairs were comfortable, and the small audience made the event more intimate and relaxing. Simply, it was worth the time spend in D.C. rush hour traffic.