Ode to Fall

Pumpkin pie, homecoming and candy corn are just some of the much-awaited signs that fall has finally arrived.  However, many other amazing things about fall are often overlooked. They may not be free candy, but to me, they’re as synonymous with autumn as fluorescent orange kernel-shaped candies jam-packed with high fructose corn syrup.

1. Pajama day

Pajama day, which occurs during homecoming week, is one of the most underappreciated days of the school year.  The stresses of daily life are temporarily reduced, since there’s no worrying about what to wear for the day.  It’s a free “comfy day,” where no one can judge you for coming to school in a onesie.

1. Honeycrisp apples

The best of the fall fruits, Honey Crisp apples are a perfect combination of sweetness, tartness, crunchiness and juiciness.  Not only are they the most delicious, but they’re also the prettiest apples.  Their glossy skin almost always contains a combination of red, orange, yellow and green.  When it comes to fruit, aesthetics are important too.

1. Crunchy leaves

There are few things in the world more satisfying than seeing that dead brown leaf on the sidewalk and going out of your way to have it crackle beneath your foot.  Raking these leaves may not be an ideal way to spend your Saturday afternoon, but at least there’s a giant pile to dive into when you’re done.

1. Halloween-themed sugar cookies

Remember those rolls of Pillsbury holiday-themed sugar cookies you used to slice up and bake as a kid?  You remember them, those clumps of identical circular cookies with a picture of a pumpkin in the middle.  They don’t come in a roll anymore, but they still exist and taste just as delicious as before.  It doesn’t hurt that October is National Cookie Month either.

1. Fall Fashion

Something in the cool, crisp air induces the urge to wear chunky, Cosby-esque sweaters in warm fall shades like cream, burnt orange and burgundy.  Tossing on one of these with your favorite jeans can make you feel prepared to conquer any fall activity from apple picking to trekking through a corn maze.  Also, the inevitable rainy days provide a chance to break out a pair of Hunter boots.