College talk etiquette

For us seniors, it’s hard not to appreciate our last moments: last first day of school, last high school football game, last time we’ll ever have to endure homecoming craziness. But around every corner is an adult asking us: so, where are you looking?

This seemingly innocent question is definitely okay for dinner parties and awkward small talk with your parents’ friends. But when we talk about college in school, I think there are some guidelines people should follow.

1) If you aren’t close enough with someone to already know where they’re applying, then don’t ask.
Chances are that if you don’t already know, that person doesn’t feel close enough to talk to you about it, or isn’t telling anyone about their college process. Asking people where they’re looking can place people in an awkward situation. College choices are incredibly personal. At competitive schools like Whitman, there are plenty of people who aren’t telling anyone where they’re applying. Conversely, many people are really open about it. It’s important to be aware that tensions run high, and applying to schools can be a very sensitive matter.

2) Don’t discuss how “good” or “bad” a school is.
We’ve all been guilty of this at some point, but too many times I’ve been dragged into conversations about how “good” a school is or how low the acceptance rate is. Scoffing at Montgomery College may not seem like a big deal, but the person sitting next to you in Calc class might be applying there. So understand that not all of us are on the fast track to UPenn and censor what you say around your classmates. It’s fine to compare schools with a private and close group of friends, but in school it’s best to avoid the subject all together. And PLEASE don’t obsess over U.S. News & World Report rankings.

3) Obviously the subject of college isn’t completely taboo…
The most exciting part of senior year is preparing to embark on a completely new chapter in our lives. If you want to bond over the college process with your classmates who you aren’t as close with, safe subjects include: loss of sleep, struggles with Naviance and how you’ve become a hermit on the weekends due to apps.

Remember, you have only one senior year. Spend it enjoying your time with friends, and getting excited about wherever your next school year will take you.