Harry Potter to cast a new spell

Just one name conjures up so many images in my mind. One character, seven books, eight movies, an entire world. Magic.

I feel like I grew up alongside the golden trio. My dad read me the first book when I was in kindergarten and I have now read the entire series six times, and the first and fifth books seven or eight times.

To me, the best part about the “Harry Potter” series is that it is more than just characters and a plot. J.K. Rowling has backstories to every detail—objects, spells, names and places. The magical world Rowling created feels real, as if I am simply a muggle sitting here— although it is hard to admit, I never received my letter accepting me to Hogwarts— but that there are well-disguised wizards living somewhere near me, cautious about using magic in front of me.

I would do anything to live in that world. I would study with Professor McGonagall and explore the hidden passages and moving staircases. I would search every phone booth in London to see if dialing “62442” would take me to the Ministry.

Since J.K. Rowling announced that she is writing a new film series, based on “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them,” I will now have a new portal into Harry’s world and I can’t contain my excitement.

The movie will focus on the Hogwarts textbook written by Newt Scamander that J.K. Rowling fleshed out for Comic Charity Relief in 2001.

Although it is not meant to be a prequel or sequel to “Harry Potter”, it takes place in the same wizarding world,  in New York about 70 years before Harry finds out he is a wizard.

Many people are skeptical of the new series.  They are worried it will not live up to expectations from the fandom, and that it will be less magical or less interesting because Harry, Ron and Hermione will not be in it.

But I trust that J.K. Rowling will be able to write a great film series. There is a ton of interesting material that is likely to end up in the movies.  The film is set in New York, giving a view of American wizardry for the first time since a brief mention in Goblet of Fire. I’m excited to learn about what wizards do for a living outside of working at the Ministry and to see how they try to fit in to a different muggle culture.

I’m also itching to learn more about the creatures that live in the magical world. Werewolves, giants, gnomes, goblins and house elves could easily make an appearance in the films.

Plus, Newt Scamander researched dragons and Dumbledore is known for discovering the 12 uses of dragon’s blood, so we might learn more about Dumbledore’s early life.

No matter what goes into the films, I will be first in line to see them. J.K. Rowling has never failed to impress me, and I can’t wait to see a new part of the wizard world.