Whitman Reacts: Wootton High School student arrested for planning school shooting

Flashy college football uniforms distracting, unappealing

Click.

I flip on the T.V. and am instantly met by an explosion of color: neon yellow, green, orange, silver and white. Is the T.V. broken? Am I watching a paintball match? Nope, just college football.

I’m watching the Oregon-Tennessee game. But instead of paying attention to the plays, I’m drawn towards the jerseys. The Ducks are donning bright yellow jerseys, bright yellow pants, bright yellow shoes and a bright yellow helmet. Tennessee is wearing white with bright orange pants.

With all the scandals and rule-breaking that happen so frequently in college football, the loss of sensibility when it comes to jerseys may be one of the biggest tragedies of them all. The schools are trying too hard to be fashionable, and all these flashy jerseys are a true shame.

Click.

Having seen more than enough of Oregon’s vomit-inducing apparel, I switch the channel. The Eastern Michigan-Rutgers game is on. Although the score is close, I find myself only paying attention the uniforms and their blaring hues. Rutgers, although sticking to perennial red jerseys, are also wearing glossy, eye-catching chrome helmets.

Why do teams try to prioritize flashiness and flair over safety and sturdiness when it comes to helmets? Are they trying to draw attention to themselves, instead of serving their original purpose? What’s next, helmets made of tin foil? That would surely fit the mold.

Click.

Duke-Georgia Tech? Good game, but the Blue Devils don’t pull off black as well as they think they do. The look is trying too hard to be fashionable, and likely unnecessarily warm. It just serves as a distraction. They should have stuck with the original, plain white.

Click.

Finally, my search mercifully comes to an end. I catch the last three minutes of the Michigan-Akron game. For the first time all afternoon, I’m actually watching the game. Why? It wasn’t two teams competing for who can look more fashionable and glamorous.

Michigan has had the same color scheme since the 1910’s, and the same helmet design since 1938. Others should follow their lead. Choose one style, and stick to it. Tradition has its advantages.

Just as I’m finally happy with a game, it comes to an end. The commentator announces that the programming will “switch over to coverage of the Oregon-Tennessee game in Eugene.”
I reach for the” Power” button on my remote.

Click.