Whitman Reacts: Wootton High School student arrested for planning school shooting

Fall television preview

I think it’s safe to say many students look forward to mid-September for one particular reason—favorite T.V. shows return and new ones begin.  With hundreds of shows waiting to hit the small screen, it can be difficult to choose which ones to test out, especially with DVR, Hulu and Netflix broadening the horizons for today’s viewers.  Here’s a sneak peek at some of the more promising new shows out there:

Brooklyn Nine-Nine (Premieres Tues. Sept. 17 at 8:30 p.m. on Fox)

SNL comedian Andy Samberg stars in this comedy about the relationships among police officers in Brooklyn.  The talented but immature detective and his similarly wacky group of coworkers (Terry Crews, Melissa Fumero, Chelsea Peretti, Joe Lo Truglio, Stephanie Beatriz) face discipline under the leadership of a serious new captain (Andre Braugher), a concept to which they are not accustomed.  Critics at The Daily Beast praise Braugher’s deadpan performance and Samberg’s goofy jokes.

The Blacklist (Premieres Mon. Sept. 23 at 10 p.m. on NBC)

This show, sure to be an action-packed thriller, stars James Spader, previously seen in Boston Legal, The Office and Lincoln, as Raymond “Red” Reddington, a former government agent who is one of the FBI’s most wanted criminals.  Reddington mysteriously turns himself in to the FBI and offers to help find the most sought-after terrorist, but only if he can work solely with novice FBI profiler Elizabeth “Liz” Keane.  Numerous critics have named this one of the best T.V. dramas of 2013.

Hello Ladies (Premieres Sun. Sept. 29 at 10:30 p.m. on HBO)

In this series, Stephen Merchant, who produced the British version of The Office with Ricky Gervais, plays Stuart, an awkward six-foot-seven British web designer who relocates to L.A. hoping to find love.  Unfortunately for Stuart, but fortunately for the audience, his cringe-worthy attempts at wooing women produce many laughs.

Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (Premieres Tues. Sept. 24 at 8 p.m. on ABC)

This show picks up where The Avengers left off, except Agent Phil Coulson (Clark Gregg) has somehow been resurrected from the dead and has assembled a diverse, highly-trained team of agents that will track down a new enemy and protect ordinary people from an unknown extraordinary world.  The show’s executive producer, Joss Whedon,  also produced The Avengers movie.