Fall Going Out Guide

Getting back into the swing of the school year can be tough.  Fortunately, with the arrival of fall comes an extensive selection of events and festivals.  So take a break from studying and head out into the crisp fall air to experience the culture of the nation’s capital.

A customer at Taste of Bethesda 2012 tries a treat from Tout de Sweet. Photo courtesy Sonny Odom.

Taste of Bethesda

The annual event will take place Oct. 5 from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. in Bethesda’s Woodmont Triangle.  Festival-goers can sample a diverse array of food from 60 local restaurants, such as Benihana and Georgetown Cupcake, while enjoying live entertainment from local dance and music groups.  Admission is free, but food must be purchased with tickets, sold in bundles of four tickets for $5 each.

Renaissance Festival

Thou hast until Oct. 20 to travel back to the middle ages and experience the Renaissance by watching live performances, including jousting, sword swallowing and Shakespeare, and browsing the artwork and food sold from vendors along the streets of the festival.  Prepare yourself for a day-long trip since the festival is in Crownesville, MD, eight miles northwest of Annapolis, and is open from 10 a.m.-7 p.m.  Nonetheless, this is an event not to miss.

Butler’s Orchard Pumpkin Festival

This festival encompasses everything that comes to mind when you think of fall—pumpkins, hay rides, caramel apples, corn mazes, you name it.  The event starts Sept. 28 and continues every weekend in October, running from 10 a.m.to 5 p.m.  Visiting the orchard is the perfect way to spend an autumn day with younger friends or family members.

Lincoln Theatre

The historic theater opened in 1922 and served African Americans during segregation.  The theater closed in 1968 due to race-related riots then reopened in 1994.  Recently, the operator of the 9:30 Club and Merriweather Post Pavilion gained control of the theater.  This fall, the theater will feature performances from KT Tunstall on Sept. 28, Sara Bareilles on Oct. 7, and Matt Nathanson on Oct. 29.