Life-sized Chinese terra cotta warriors travel to the National Geographic Museum

The exhibit, “Terra Cotta Warriors: Guardians of China’s First Emperor,” features life-sized statues from China. Photo courtesy of nationalgeographic.com.

Some of China’s greatest representatives have come to D.C.   Their visit isn’t political, and they won’t do much talking.  In fact, these icons aren’t even alive.  They are the terra cotta warriors.

A few statues from one of the greatest archeological discoveries ever are on display at the National Geographic Museum in Northwest D.C.  People interested in history, anthropology or China have the chance of a lifetime to view these emblematic statues in person and learn about the Qin dynasty along the way.

The exhibit, “Terra Cotta Warriors: Guardians of China’s First Emperor,” is a long, winding trek chock full of artifacts and summaries of the various parts of Qin China.  While the centerpiece of the exhibit is the terra cotta warriors on tour from China, there is plenty on Qin Shihuangdi, China’s first emperor, who created a unified China over two hundred years before Christ.

The terra cotta warriors were built and placed in Shihuangdi’s elaborate burial site, so it makes sense that the exhibit presents the backdrop of Qin unification before visitors reach the main attraction.

The terra cotta warriors are the most intriguing part of the exhibit.  The life-size statues just demand attention.  There is good mix, ranging from officers, charioteers and archers to weightlifters and musicians, all of whom strike purposeful poses.  The larger, more open room they are placed in concludes the tour and is a welcome relief from the series of narrow hallways that come beforehand.

The audio tour should really be considered optional.  Using the audio tour helps you understand and appreciate the artifacts and the archeology it took to uncover them, but can also be a distraction from the exhibit if you don’t take your time.

Because the museum dives deep into historical and anthropological subjects, AP World History students or aspiring anthropologists will enjoy the exhibit most, but those who aren’t history buffs and have no interest in ancient cultures will probably prefer to spend their weekend at the movies.

The warriors are on display until the end of March.  Tickets to the exhibit are sold for specific dates and times.  Tickets cost $12 for adults and $6 for children 12 or under, with discounts for seniors and groups larger than 10.  Tickets can be purchased online at the National Geographic website:  click here.