Boy Auction raises money for Leukemia and Lymphoma Society

The group of juniors Connor Gordon, Miles Davis and Bryan Joel sold for $440, the most expensive auction of the night. SGA raised over $4,220 for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. Photo by Keegan Barber.

The SGA raised over $4,220 for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society in the Boy Auction Feb. 25.  The event is part of the SGA’s month-long efforts to raise money for the society in honor of freshman Tim King, who was diagnosed with acute lymphoblastic leukemia at the age of eight . Emcees junior Rachel Norris and senior Mel Schwed auctioned off 21 dates to a crazed and predominantly female audience.

Like at Whitman Idol, Talent Show and Mr. Whitman, the show started with an introduction video that took a humorous look into why each of the boys were participating in the auction and what they expected from their dates.

“We encouraged anyone to buy the boys, including their friends, instead of making it just about a date,” Norris said.  “The idea came from a ‘One Tree Hill’ episode where they had a Boy Toy auction, but we tried to make a very clear difference between the Whitman Boy Auction and the Boy Toy auction from the show. The Boy Toy was flirtatious and sexual; ours was fun.”

As boys strutted on stage and the emcees read their bios, girls hollered “Ow ow!” and screamed in excitement. Bidding started between $10 and $20 and reached as high as $440 for Connor Gordon, Miles Davis and Bryan Joel.

“It was supposed to be funny, not a serious date, date,” sophomore Sarah Backenstoe, who co-planned the event, said. “It’s more like groups of people could buy a group of guys for fun.”

Boys used different tactics to get a high number of bids. Senior Sam Lilek, whose date is swing dancing lessons, danced with a stool, senior Richard Scordato wore a golf outfit and junior Jeff Gruen, with the assistance of junior Ben Golan, performed a rap.

Students were surprised at the end when an administrator’s parking spot was auctioned off for the second semester. A junior boy bought the parking permit for $550.

To read more about Tim King, click here.