Going Out Guide: Valentine’s Day

Stumped on how to show your loved one you care? Trying to make it through another Valentine’s Day? Just want something to keep you busy? Check out these ideas for a special Valentine’s Day outing.

National Gallery of Art Sculpture Garden Ice Rink

Get your groove on as you skate to the tunes of DJ Stylus and his ‘80s R&B, Boogie and special Valentine’s Day “slow jams.” The National Gallery of Art has turned its sculpture garden into a skating rink to create the perfect blend of art and activity for an unforgettable Valentine’s Day. Top off the night with a meal at the Pavilion Café featuring drinks, sandwiches, gourmet pizzas and a panoramic view of the Sculpture Garden.

The rink is open until 9 p.m. on weekdays. Admission prices vary, but with a student ID, it’s $7 plus a $3 skate rental fee.

Located at 4th and Constitution Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20565.

Cosi

For those who would rather enjoy each other’s company in above-freezing temperatures, a Cosi dinner is a great catch. It’s nearby, the food is delicious and fresh and the prices are relatively fair. Although the restaurant has other mouth-watering desserts, the famous Cosi s’mores, which include everything from marshmallows to a personal tabletop fire pit, are a cute way to bond (and stay warm!).

Open until 11 p.m. on Thursday. Prices vary depending on what you order (most meals are less than $10).

Located at 7251 Woodmont Avenue, Bethesda, MD 208174.

Romance movies

A number of romances and romantic comedies hit theaters for Valentine’s Day. Two perfect for high school students are “Safe Haven” and “Warm Bodies.” If your special lady is dying to see either, suck it up and take her; that alone will show your dedication. If your special guy wants to see either of these movies, stick with him — you’ve got a keeper!

Safe Haven: a romance featuring Julianne Hough and Josh Duhamel. The story follows the heated romance of a widower (Duhamel) and a woman (Hough) trying to escape from her dark past.

Warm Bodies: a seemingly odd romantic comedy featuring Nicholas Hoult and Teresa Palmer. This movie follows the budding of a relationship between a zombie and a human.

Hiking

If you’ve got an outdoors fanatic as your significant other, hiking is a classic way to get some quality time together. Enjoy a walk along the C &O canal or a trek up the rocks of the Billy Goat Trail. Beat the cold by dressing in layers and bringing some hot chocolate for a midway break.