Olympic gymnast speaks at Pyle on the importance of making healthy choices

Gold-medal Olympic gymnast Aly Raisman visited Pyle Monday, where she spoke to eighth grade students about making healthy choices and the dangers of alcohol.

Olympic gymnast Aly Raisman speaks to eighth-graders in the Pyle Middle School media center. She discussed the importance of making healthy choices. Photo by Abigail Cutler.

“The people who are drinking now won’t be as successful,” she told the students in an event run by the Century Council, a non-profit organization based in Virginia that attempts to reduce drunk driving and underage drinking through their program “Ask, Listen, Learn.”

Raisman, who was captain of the gold medal-winning US gymnastics team and a gold medalist on the floor at the 2012 London games, travels across the country with Century Council. She presents to middle school students on the dangers of alcohol and the need for students to talk to their parents about making difficult choices.

Here, she also highlighted the commitment she needed to achieve her own goals and the importance of the support of her friends.

“Surround yourself with people that respect you and can help you make healthy choices,” she said.

Speakers from Pyle and the Century Council introduced the Olympic star and also spoke on the importance of good decision making.

“It takes a lot more than good luck and training to get to the place Aly is at,” Century Council President and CEO Ralph Blackman said.

Maryland attorney general Douglas Gansler, a Pyle parent who works with community organizations to limit teen access to alcohol, spoke as well. He discussed various strategies that teens can set up with their parents, such as a code word that can be used to call parents in an uncomfortable situation.

“You’ve got to be a team on this,” he said.

After the presentation, Raisman answered questions and played an interactive game with students to learn facts about underage drinking.

Raisman plans on competing at the 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janeiro, she said. She also discussed her hobbies, including fashion and hanging out with her friends and family.

“I’m the oldest of four siblings so it’s important to set a good example,” Raisman said. “I wouldn’t be where I am today if I didn’t make those good choices.”

Pyle principal Jennifer Webster also pointed out the importance of making the right, healthy choices early on.

“This is a really pivotal time for you to get your mind right,” she told the packed crowd in the media center.

But the star of the event was the decorated Olympian, who drew the largest applause and captivated her audience.

“Sometimes people get so caught up in trying to fit in,” Raisman said. “I think its important just to remember to be yourself and always set goals for yourself, and set a good example for others.”