Going Out Guide: Holiday adventures

Bored of watching “Home Alone” and eating candy canes? These holiday activities will liven up your vacation.

1. Zoo Lights:

See the exotic animals of the National Zoo in a new light this holiday season. With over500,000 LED lights twinkling around the zoo in the form of music light displays, zoo animal designs and a garden scene light sculpture, ZooLights is an absolute must-see. Discover the animals, ride one of the few solar-powered carousels or go tubing down a 150 ft. snowless track as part of this holiday fun.
ZooLights is open 5-9 P.M., December 14-23, 26-30 and January 1. Admission is free, but parking is $9 for members and $16 for non-members.

2. Ice Skating
Why let the lack of ice and snow keep you from enjoying some classic winter fun? Iceskating is a great way to appreciate the (somewhat) cooler weather this holiday season with friends or family. And if you haven’t ice skated before, now is a great time to attempt it; your friends will always appreciate a good laugh. There are many great ice rinks, but here’s one favorite.
Canal Park Ice Rink:
Open 12-9 P.M. Mon.-Fri., 10 am- 10pm Sat., 10am-7pm Sun.; see website for extended hours during school vacations. Adults cost $8, children/seniors $7 and skate rentals are $3.

3. Handel’s Messiah
For those classical fanatics out there, or anyone who appreciates some good music to get you in the holiday spirit, Handel’s Messiah is sure to wow at the Kennedy Center. The National Symphony Orchestra will perform, along with various guest artists including the University of Maryland Concert Choir. Get your tickets quickly, because it’s only showing for a few days.
Runs for 2 hours and 15 mintues (with intermission) Dec. 20-23. Timing varies. Tickets range from $10-$85.

4. The Downtown Holiday Market
Worried about getting all your holiday gifts in time but afraid of the overwhelming mall crowds? The 8th Annual Downtown Holiday Market is the perfect solution with its collection of various ethnic goods including everything from pottery to jewelry from over 180 regional artisans and businesses. Selections will change daily, so be sure to snag that right gift while you can. The market also features seasonal entertainment and treats.
Open 12-8 pm daily through December 23. Located on the F Street sidewalk in from of the Smithsonian American Art Museum and the National Portrait Gallery (between 7th & 9th streets, NW).

5. The Garden of Lights
For those with a green thumb, venture to Brookside Gardens’ Garden of Lights. Let your imagination soar as you walk through fantastical garden paths lit with over one million LED lights.
Open 5:30-9pm (Sun.-Thurs.) and 5:30-10:00pm (Fri. –Sat.) (Last car admitted half hour before closing time). Open through Jan. 6 except Dec. 24, 25, Jan, 1, 2, 3 and last car admitted at 8:30 pm on New Year’s Eve.