Hockey ties Landon for first time in Vikings history, 4-4

The 3-2 ice hockey team tied the Landon Bears 4-4 for the first time in team history on Dec. 5 at Rockville Ice Arena.

The Bears came out, scoring at the 10:16 mark of the first period. The Vikings came back soon after, however, when Andy Dexter scored a goal with 7:34 to go in the period. About four minute later, Landon regained control of the lead with a second goal.

Shortly after the puck was dropped in the second period, the Bears scored their third goal. With less than five minutes left, Landon put away another goal, extending their lead to 4-1.

Just 33 seconds later, Wyatt Hughes scored on play executed by Colin Rankin and Jeff Marr, cutting Landon’s lead to two goals on their own ice. With 2:33 left in the period, captain Lucas Karron scored on an assist from Dexter, making the game 4-3 at the end of the second period.

The Vikings continued to penetrate Landon’s half in the second period. Only a few minutes in, Matthew LeBeau scored to tie the game at four goals apiece. After a few more chances for both sides, the buzzer sounded to end the game at a 4-4 draw, symbolizing the first non-loss to Landon in Vikings hockey.

By the end of the game, Landon had suffered seven penalties while the Vikes had stayed out of the penalty box all but one time, a major improvement from the past games. Dexter finished the game with a goal and two assists, and goalie Zach Butler finished the game allowing just four goals on 36 shots.

The Vikings take on the Walter Johnson Wildcats Dec. 7 at 8:50 at Rockville Ice Arena. Come cheer on the Vikes as they look for their fourth win of the season, hoping to maintain their winning record.