Georgetown soccer defeats San Diego 3-1, advances to Final Four

The 19-3-2 Georgetown University Hoyas mens soccer team defeated the 14-9-0 University of San Diego Toreros 3-1 at North Kehoe Field in Washington D.C. Dec. 1 to advance to the Final Four of the NCAA Division One Tournament.

Georgetown fans storm the field as the mens soccer team defeats the San Diego Toreros 3-1 to advance to the Final Four. Photo by Nick Sobel.

The stands were packed at Kehoe Field, located on top of Georgetown University’s campus. Most of the fans filling the bleachers were Georgetown students, alumni or soccer fans. However, a handful of San Diego fans made the trek out to the east coast in order to watch the Elite 8 match. Georgetown had defeated UNC-Charlotte and rival Syracuse in order to make it this far in the tournament.

Before the game, players of both sides lined up for introductions and the National Anthem. Kick-off was around 1:05 p.m. and the aggression was immediately apparent with pushing and shoving from both sides.

The game started out slowly in a defensive battle; each team left the first half with one shot each, one of which was almost a goal. San Diego midfielder Dan Delgado, who led the Toreros most of the game, set up for a free kick in Georgetown’s half. The powerful shot soared just inches, if not centimeters, over the net, giving Georgetown a break.

The ref blew the whistle to end a rather quiet first half and both sides headed to their bench for team huddles. Fans were rather calm at the beginning of the second half until just five minutes in when San Diego forward Blake Milton headed in a pass from Delgado to give the Toreros a 1-0 lead. A handful of fans erupted from the stands, cheering for Milton while Georgetown fans sat in shock.

The Hoyas quickly regrouped at midfield and kicked the ball off hoping to bounce back. Less than one minute later, Hoya forward Brandon Allen slipped the ball past the San Diego goalkeeper to tie the game up at one. Ecstatic Hoya fans stood up and cheered as confetti flew over the bleachers.

After an uneventful 20 minutes or so, Hoya forward Melvin Snoh scored off a cross from midfielder Steve Neumann to give the Hoyas a 2-1 lead. The student section erupted as excited fans threw various drinks and foods in the air in celebration.

With less than ten minutes left in the match, Georgetown forward Gabe Padilla stole the ball from a San Diego defender, opening up a path to the net. Right before he reached the goal, he sent a well-placed ball across the penalty box for Neumann to put home, but Neumann put too much power behind the ball and missed, keeping the game at 2-1.

Finally in the 88th minute, Hoya midfielder Andy Riemer scored to ultimately put the game away for Georgetown, qualifying them for the Final Four in Hoover, Alabama.

With seconds left, the announcer for the stadium reminded students to stay off the field, but as the buzzer sounded, police officers and security guards couldn’t hold students back as they poured onto the field to celebrate with the team. Eventually, officers gave up and let the students proceed with their celebration.

The Hoyas take on the University of Maryland Terrapins Dec. 7 in Hoover, AL.