National News Roundup: Class time, chiefs and combative politicians

In this edition of the National News Roundup, a family wins a record-size Powerball jackpot, politicians argue about the fiscal cliff, and a few states decide to increase learning time in their schools.

President Obama hosts Kennedy Center honorees at White House
The president joked that the motley crew’s presence continued “a tradition at the White house by honoring some extraordinary people with no business being on the same stage together.” Read more here.

Powerball winners introduced to the nation: ‘We’re still stunned by what happened’
The Hill family of Dearborn, Mo., who won half of the jackpot worth $587.5 million, appeared at a press conference on Friday with six-year-old Jaiden, who was adopted from China. She clutched a stuffed horse as her parents were handed an oversized check made out for their share: $293,750,000. Read more here.

Chiefs chairman Clark Hunt calls murder-suicide ‘incredibly difficult 24 hours for our family’
Hunt offered his condolences Sunday to the families affected by the murder-suicide involving one of his players, calling it “an incredibly difficult 24 hours for our family and for our organization.” Read more here.

5 states to increase class time in some schools
Five states were to announce Monday that they will add at least 300 hours of learning time to the calendar in some schools starting in 2013. Colorado, Connecticut, Massachusetts, New York and Tennessee will take part in the initiative, which is intended to boost student achievement and make U.S. schools more competitive on a global level. Read more here.

Boehner ‘flabbergasted’ at fiscal cliff proposal
House Speaker John Boehner painted a bleak picture Sunday while talking about fiscal cliff negotiations between the White House and Republicans. Read more here.