Macklemore delights fans at 9:30 Club

The crowd surged forward at the 9:30 Club last Tuesday as fans eagerly reached out toward the rapper onstage, just trying to get a touch.

Macklemore & Ryan Lewis performed at the 9:30 club in D.C. on Tuesday, Nov. 13. The show was part of the duo’s The Heist: World Tour.

By the time Macklemore opened with “Ten Thousand Hours,”  the crowd was going wild. Next he played one of his older songs, “My Life is A Cinema,” which got the crowd singing along with the repetitious “I got soul but I’m not a soldier.”

Before Macklemore played one of his most popular songs, “Same Love,” he told the crowd how happy he was that Obama won the election, and more importantly that same-sex marriage passed in his home state of Washington. The crowd agreed with cheers. During his performance of “Same Love,” it seemed like almost every person in the audience was singing along. Afterwards, Macklemore said one of his favorite parts about being on tour is watching audience after audience sing along to “Same Love.”

His set list also included “My Oh My,” “Otherside,” “The Town,” “Starting Over” and “Wings.” “My Oh My” pays tribute to the deceased baseball announcer Dave Niehaus, while “Otherside” discusses Macklemore’s experience with substance abuse.

Macklemore paid homage to his hometown of Seattle in “The Town,” and he gave insight on his personal struggle with relapse and drug addiction in “Starting Over.” Before each of these songs, Macklemore took a few moments to explain their significance to his audience. While this definitely enhanced the impact of these songs, it also slowed down the pace of the show.

At one point during the show, Macklemore admitted that he wasn’t sure if he had any fans in D.C. until he found out the 9:30 show was sold out. The audience’s excitement and cheering proved him wrong.

Towards the end of his set, Macklemore sped up the show and performed more fast-paced songs like “Victory Lap,” “Gold” and “White Walls.” Ryan Lewis left his post at the DJ booth to share the stage with Macklemore. The excitement in the audience was evident as the musicians and danced and moved across the stage. Ryan Lewis didn’t hesitate to make more than a few stage dives.

When Macklemore performed his hit song “Thrift Shop,” he asked if anyone from the audience had a fur coat he could wear to perform his song — Macklemore sports an long, elegant fur coat in the music video. Several fans threw their fur jackets up towards the front of the stage, but a different sort of jacket caught his eye; instead of his classic fur coat, Macklemore was handed a colorful, patterned jacket that looked like it was from the 70s.

Macklemore finished his set and bowed off the staged while the crowd chanted for an encore. Sure enough, Macklemore returned to perform “And We Danced” while wearing a wild blonde wig and funky purple jacket, similar to his ensemble in the music video. After a quick costume change back into his regular outfit, Macklemore emerged from backstage waving a huge Irish flag for his last song of the evening, “Irish Celebration.”